Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,614   Online: 845

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Fuji Acros (35mm) & Rodinal?

Hi All!

I checked through the previous posts and did not exactly find an answer to my question, so here goes!

I would like to shoot some Acros 100 in my 35mm camera. I am open to suggestions about pulling the film down to 80 or even 50. I really want to know if I can develop it in Rodinal, and what to expect if I do. Also, I looked at the spec sheet for the film & they recommend a hardening fixer. Is this necessary? How about a water stop bath? Anyone have any recommendations?

I've been to the Massive Development Chart & have seen the Rodinal 1:50 for 11 min for Acros rated @ 50...just wanted to see if anyone had some real life experience with it!

TIA!!!
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi BWgirl:

It is possible to use Rodinal with this film. Any B&W film can pretty much be used with any developer. The bigger question is, at what dilution and what developing time? There's no easy answer without doing the test yourself. I don't really trust the massive development chart because I can very well jump on that site and put on whatever I think is right and that may or may not be even close to the right answer for you. Starting point or not, in the end, will you be doing the actual testing to see how far off you were to the recommended times or will you settle for whatever works? A one-time investment in a densitometer will solve all the problems.

I've done extensive testing with Rodinal and have found that for better tonal separation, use it at 1:50 dilution. At 1:25 there is not enough conpensating development and the highights form up much faster than the shadows. Other than that, you'll probably have to do density testing to get everything lined up.

Copy & Paste to a new browser: http://djklmnop.tripod.com/temp/negativeZ004.jpg (Rodinal 1:50 - Arista EDU 100) -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I rated Acros 100 at 80 and developed it in 1:50 Rodinal for 11 minutes at 21C. Gentle torus inversion agitation for the first 30 seconds followed by 5 seconds of gentle torus inversion agitation per minute. The results looked good and printed well. Should give you a starting point.

I haven't tried it in Pyrocat-HD yet.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well do try it in pyrocat. It is blinding in Dixactol; sharper than it has any right to be and still creamy!

Once I have mixed up my Pyrocat, this will hopefully be my 5x4 travelling light combo, acros in quickloads, even if it costs so much more than TMAX100 readyloads.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't like Acros in Rodinal. And I love both Acros and Rodinal. Xtol gives it that beautiful "metallic" tone, though....

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Jeanette, Not going to say told you so ... but we did warn you about Rodinal being addictive I'm using 1+50 for all films I develop now but I've not tried Acros. As Acros is 100 or below I can't see any reason why it shouldn't come out beautiful. Don't forget to post at least one of your results though I'd love to see them.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Never used Acros with Rodinol but I do know that Acros is very "responsive" to the agitation it gets. Tom H. seems to have a technique that works. Good luck.
    The Rat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TPPhotog
    Jeanette, Not going to say told you so ... but we did warn you about Rodinal being addictive I'm using 1+50 for all films I develop now but I've not tried Acros. As Acros is 100 or below I can't see any reason why it shouldn't come out beautiful. Don't forget to post at least one of your results though I'd love to see them.
    rodinal is very addictive! But as mentioned above: XTOL will give you the metallic look. Gotta try that!

Morten! from the International Rodinal Mafia
    Last edited by modafoto; 09-06-2004 at 06:24 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Adding some stuff

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello, everyone,
    Incidentally, just yesterday I tried the Acros / Rodinal combo for the first time. Based on my experience with other similar films I gave it 14 mins@20C/68F, 1:75. Gentle agitation: just 2 inversions every minute. The negative is on the 'thin' side, which I like. Sharpness is a killer, grain - non-existent. My estimated E.I. falls halfway between 50 and 100 ISO (no densitometer used). I'm looking forward to a great printing session.

Regards to all - Tomasz.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin