Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,766   Posts: 1,484,113   Online: 955

JPR

Shooter
    35mm RF

Advice on Developing EFKE KB50 in Ilfotec DD-X

Dear All

Is anybody out there developing EFKE KB50 in Ilfotec DD-X? If so, could you please share your technique? Time, dilution and agitation?

I've got a role of KB50 now and normally use only Ilfotec DD-X.

I could use Rodinal as I've seen some nice stuff with this combo, but I don't want to buy too many chemicals, as I don't shoot soooo much right now.

Thanks in advance for the answers!

Cheers,

JPR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If this is a one-off roll and you're not doing tests, my suggestion is to go with a general purpose developer for which there are published/recommended times for this film. DDX is an excellent general purpose developer but it would be hard to guess at a development time for the film you're using. Maybe just buy a package of D76. Try finding your film on the massive development chart on the digitaltruth website and use that as a starting point.

Also think about what qualities you want in the negatives. DDX and other general purpose developers are designed to give you a balance of speed, grain, sharpness, contrast with most films. Rodinal favors sharpness but will be grainier and generally speed will be a little lower than with a developer like DDX.

If you don't shoot too much I would go with the Rodinal! DDX is a great developer but once you open it doesn't last long in the bottle and tend to run a bit expensive. Rodinal will last much, much longer!

JPR

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi guys,

thanks for the tips. Actually, DD-X is my general developer. I'm shooting mostly 50 Pan F, 125 PX and Neopan 1600. All these films develop pretty nicely in DD-X. I think Neopan and Rodinal don't go well together. Although Neopan won't be around much longer...

I'm thinking, but I might some tests myself with DD-X. I don't shoot too much, but it's enough to use enough DD-X that i don't have a shelf life issue. I want to start using EFKE KB50 to compliment the Pan F. So, keeping a second developer for such little volume doesn't make so much sense.

Cheers,

JPR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Makes sense. If you're going to take the time to do your own tests, you can't go wrong with DDX.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin