Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,720   Online: 966

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Looks to me like a development issue as well. I did see similar patterns when I developed film in a drum; a Presoak in tempered water fixed the issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree that it looks like a processing error, possibly bromide drag which can be caused by improper agitation. It might also be caused by problems with the rollers in a processing machine. Notice how the increased density favors the areas above higher density parts of the negative. Light leaks usually cause denser fogging and the density due to a light leak is concentrated near the edge of the film, although it may extend across a wide band with lesser intensity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sadly I've found a lot of labs that used to be good now just don't run enough film through to make it worth their while to do film properly anymore. Their chemicals are used for too long, not enough maintenance, etc. Many people get frustrated and head to the dark side because of the poor quality.

Standard APUG advice: have you considered developing it yourself? You don't even need a dark room...
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    sorry to say that my experiences with drugstore-type develope-services, who send their films to bigger labs is (far) better then the specialized lab i use. B&W films i develop myself, but colors i don't. i almost lost a few films i took for a expo-project because i trusted the specialized lab more then the drugstore. luckily i could adjust the scans enough to get rid of the streaks, but it made me think again before letting important film develope in that lab. i do support the small-scale labs as much as i can because if not, they're bound to disappear ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they door a poor job then, sorry to say, they deserve to disappear. It is nice of you to take up your problem with them so they might know to clean their machines once in a while but jeez they should do it right or just go all digital. Sad but true.

If you can do B&W you can do color. It's easy, I don't know why color has a mystique associated with it.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have nothing of value to add to this thread but would just like to say that I wish my ordinary ETRS looked as good as the one the O.P. posted a picture of!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know why color has a mystique associated with it.
    Color C41 is relative simple but you have to find an easy way to maintain the 37,8C temperature during the first 3:15 minutes C41 developer.

My opinion about the negatives: Processing error.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you look directly at your negatives are there spots on them that look metallic? If so your lab needs to clean the rollers in their machine, more than likely that is the problem, the rollers stay clean where the 35mm rides over them, but medium format uses the normally unused part of the roller resulting in what you see on your images.

If you like the lab and it is in a good location for you please let them know about this problem, you will be helping yourself by having a good lab close to home, and you will be helping others because a machine that is well maintained will provide years of service not just for you but for others as well.

I just had a similar problem to this with my local lab that does my 120 C-41, the lab owner thanked me, gave me free processing, and told me that next time I am shooting C-41 I just have to call her a day in advance so she can clean the rollers before I come in or I will have to wait an extra day for my film. This is why you need to support your local lab.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin