Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,441   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

unacceptable negative developing

I'm a lurking member here at apug and value the info I receive.
    However, I have an issue which i hope some members can resolve.
    I have used the same lab several times over the last six months (6-7 rolls) and my negatives continue to come back streaked and washed out as the example shows. Both color and black and white.
    I am using a Bronica ETRSI(40th anniversary edition), AEIII Prism, with 75mm PE, tripod, MLU, and release cable. Some of the negs are great, but a large portion of them have these noticeable streaks.
    This image is just a typical example and not very good, but I would appreciate any input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002copy.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    have you confronted them with this?
    how did they respond?

i had an issue with my lab just a few weeks ago and this resulted in them cleaning the machine twice a day!
    no one ever had brought the issue to their attention, so how would they know?

i think the lab would (should?) be grateful if you took your problem to them (first).

mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    25 Jan 2011

Kcmy:

Looks like light is fogging the fill from the topside of the negative. I am not familiar with the Bronica ETRSI, Does it have a removable back?, or a dark slide of any sort? I had similar problems with my Hasselblad when the light seals around the dark slide were bad.

Good luck finding out the cause.

Regards,
    Darwin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maarten m View Post
    so how would they know?
    A decent lab would run control strips.

The problem is a lot of labs these days aren't running enough film for their processes to be optimal.

(if indeed the OP's issue is a processing problem)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If this is a light leak there should be some noticable fogging at the edges of the film outside the picture area.
    It looks to me a little more like processing, but the processing for color and B&W would be entirely different, unless you're using a chromogenic B&W such as Ilford XP2.
    What B&W films are you using, and what do the edges look like in the color and B&W? Does the streaking continue past the picture area?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Bronica does have a removable back.
    This particular image was shot with Ilford pan f plus
    here is another image that I shot with Ektar 100, i purposely altered it to highlight the streaks.
    I haven't contacted the lab, I wanted to get some opinions first.
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9509825599NEG0010a.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It does have the appearance of uneven development, but, also check that your films are wound tightly onto the reel once exposed as slight slackening can cause light leaks. (As said, this would be apparent on the edges also).
    Does this affect the whole roll ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    its not light leak it is chemical and you should inform the lab immediately! this kind of processing problem is not acceptable.

~Steve
    The Lighthouse Lab
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the responses! I'm new to Medium Format but not film. I can see from viewing the images from different rolls that the streaks are consistent from image to image, but are in different places on other rolls.
    I will contact the lab, but in the meantime I am sending my next two rolls to a different lab and will post my findings.
    Thanks for the input!
    I am just totally enjoying my journey into the world of Medium Format!

Eric
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0366 (2).jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This looks more like a development issue than one with your camera. I'd talk to them about it. It's important to have a good relationship with a lab, a good working back and forth dialog with them. If they get defensive right off the bat, then I'd see about finding a new lab that might be more responsive to your concerns. Tall order, these days, I realize, but worth the effort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin