Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,874   Online: 872

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Grant,
    Your question is not really off-topic; yes, enlargemnts may be made on Azo but are not real practical without a special light source. Azo's speed is extremely slow. Enlargements made from a coventional enlarger light source take several minutes to expose. The last time I tried it, I exposed for 5 minutes and got just a faint image.

There is a light source available now that works in the UV frequencies making Azo enlargements a practical reality. I think it sells for about $2500 and fits Beseler and Omega 4x5 enlargers. For more info, go to the Azo Forum at michaelandpaula.com.

For contact printing on Azo, most people use an incandescent light bulb, somewhere between 60 and 300 watts.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by VoidoidRamone
    Okay... this is a little off the subject of this post, but I thought it loosely fit. Correct me if I'm wrong, this is a "test" (or whatever it's called) on whether there is a difference between contact printing on AZO (contact paper) or MGIV (enlarging paper). My question is, can one print quality enlargements on AZO? What will they look like? Why couldn't one? etc.. Basically what separates a contact printing paper from an enlarging paper? Thanks for the help, as I am somehwhat new to this. -Grant
    Grant, You ask a valid question...For those of us who have had exposure to the characteristics of Azo, already know that Azo is a contact printing paper only. The only caveat to that statement is with the enlarging light source which is nearly $1,900 from what I understand. So to answer your question, under normal conditions it would be impossible to enlarge onto Azo.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So... in theory if I had a lot of time on my hands (and money) I could enlarge on Azo. Would the image look better (since it is a 'better' contact printing paper)? Also, if I were making 10 min enlargements, would the reciprocity "kill me"? This is something that I think would be interesting to try. That UV lightsource also sounds nice, unfortunately I don't have $2500 laying around, oh well. -Grant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Donald posted before I got mine out... thanks for the help. -Grant

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    So... in theory if I had a lot of time on my hands (and money) I could enlarge on Azo. Would the image look better (since it is a 'better' contact printing paper)?
    Quite true. Before this new light source became available, some people (very well-heeled) were enlarging on Azo with very large, powerful, and expensive enlargers. Your images would look better because of Azo's longer scale. Kodak, despite its digital executive suit, was interested in the development of the new light source because it means a potential large increase in Azo sales.

Also, if I were making 10 min enlargements, would the reciprocity "kill me"? This is something that I think would be interesting to try.
    Don't know about the reciprocity. Haven't ever went there.

That UV lightsource also sounds nice, unfortunately I don't have $2500 laying around, oh well.
    Neither do I. But if I did, I would get one.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin