Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,269   Online: 1151

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Newbie asking questions

Hi All,
    I have been a member of this site for many years. But I fell off the wagon and went to the dark side(*sigh*). anyway A good friend of mine who is a member here, has sparked my interest in using actual film again.
    I am looking at doing B&W in film(you just can't beat it!).
    I am mainly going to be doing MF (with a little 35mm).
    To start with I intend to dust off the developing stuff and develop the film then scan it (only for now until I get back into things!).
    I am interested in really slow films with extra fine grain (Bring back 6 iso thats what I say lol).
    So my question iscan anyone reccomend somewhere (pref in the UK) to buy my film from?
    I used to use Ilford (they are just down the road) and loved pan F
    But I was always blown by agfapan APX25.
    So a few films have been reccomended but I am finding it difficult to find sources in the Uk.
    It is it just easier to buy from croatia etc direct?
    What about postage (been stung by tax and postage costing me three times the price of the product in the past!).
    all suggestions welcome.
    Thank
    Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pan F in Perceptol. You won't go wrong. Welcome back from the 'other' side.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stillsilver View Post
    Pan F in Perceptol. You won't go wrong. Welcome back from the 'other' side.

Mike
    A superb combination if you always work with a tripod, particualrly with the Perceptol at 1+2.

APX25 in Rodinal was my own preferred choice, but the film's long gone and some key chemistry's no longer made so Mirko/Adox can't re-introduce it.

However Adox CHS/EFKE 25 is another option, I process mine in Pyrocat HD.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ag Photographic and Silverprint are your two main sources. The first will ship smaller items at a lower cost and is quite happy to talk for hours on the phone. Silverprint is great if your order tops £100 and can supply hard to find stuff like raw chemicals.

If you seek grainless images then PanF in a pyro is probably about as good as you'll get in MF. The next step is to move up a size or three

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great and thanks for the replies.
    Pan F it is for now then.
    Yes I would love a LF camera, but the cost is just too much (for now).
    I have got rid of a lot of cameras but some will be in the box with me when I go.
    Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PanF+ for sure.

I went digital for a year too but it just doesn't look right to me. Got some good pictures but highlights, shadows, colors... overall the feeling just isn't there.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Shooter
    35mm
    My strategy at the moment is to buy film in largish quantities (20 or more at a time) by mail. Great choice, convenient if you don't live near a well-supplied shop, and you even save something.

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't rule out Delta 100. I've tested it in various developers against Pan F, including Perceptol (my standard developer) at various dilutions. There is virtually no difference in granularity. So I'm not saying Pan F/Perceptol isn't a great combination, but I though it relevant to suggesting Delta as a possible alternative (depending on the type of photography you're doing). For example, with long exposures Delta has less reciprocity departure. It also has a much longer straight line curve than Pan F, which makes higher contrast situations much easier to control.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm a big fan of Pan F+, in various developers including Ilfosol 3 and Paterson Aculux-3. Particularly shot with an orange filter in good light. I also find a get comparable levels of grain and very nice tones from Fuji Acros and sometimes the extra stop of speed is useful.

I buy film from Ag-Photographic, Silverprint, 7Dayshop and Mathers of Lancashire, depending on what I'm buying and in which quantities.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Delta 100 is one of my favorite films for sure, I shoot much more than PanF+ which is more for special situations. Even in 35mm Delta 100 looks great enlarged. Great sharpness and acutance, small grain, lasts really well, usable at full speed years past expiry.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin