Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,377   Online: 809

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhil
    Just for those that are curious, here is what I came up with.

Start with the hard developer first. I used dektol. It needs to be strong 1:1 and 1:2 produced identical results. 1:5 did not produce full blacks.

Aim to be in the hard developer (dektol) for 5-10 seconds. You want to have moved to the soft developer (Selectol Soft) before the first blacks appear. I still saw full blacks at 5 seconds with dektol 1:1. The longer you stay in the hard developer the greater the effect it has on the midtones.

The second developer needs to be very dilute. Selectol Soft is normally mixed 1:1. I saw the best results at 1:9. I am going to experiment with even more dilute solutions next.

Expect longer overall developing times. My normal time is 2-3 minutes; however, with the really dilute (1:9) soft developer I would suggest starting with 5 minutes.
    I think you're on the right tack DrPhil. I have found times for dilute Selectrol Soft (1:9) as long as 30 minutes. Additionally, the 'hard' developer is much less likely to compromise the soft developer by allowing time in a water bath prior to let it neutralize/exhaust; a good minute seems to work and account for that minute when you determine your total development. It is an important step. Also, the dilute soft developer does not have the tray life you might think it does.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhil
    Start with the hard developer first. I used dektol. It needs to be strong 1:1 and 1:2 produced identical results. 1:5 did not produce full blacks.

The second developer needs to be very dilute. Selectol Soft is normally mixed 1:1. I saw the best results at 1:9. I am going to experiment with even more dilute solutions next.
    Th efew times I've tried something like this, I found out that it's better to use the soft developer first if you don't have running water for the wash. A little metol in the hard won't hurt it, but a trace of hydroquinone in the soft will make for gallopping contrast.

BTW; I've managed to make MGIV RC very slightly warm by using exhausted G232 at 1:20 dilution... At that point, other papers just didn't develop.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce (Camclicker)
    Also, the dilute soft developer does not have the tray life you might think it does.
    That would make sense as there is very little developer in all that solution.

When I get a chance I am going to try even greater dilutions and times. I think I might try to find a deep rubbermade bin to use as a soft developer tray.
    Facts are facts; however, perception is reality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin