Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,471   Online: 1061

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Six reason to like LPD:

1. Reduces Dektol black stains in the developing tray.
    2. Allows minor color shifts
    3. Longer shelf life than Dektol in a working tray, stored as stock solution, and higher tray capacity.
    4. Cheaper than 130 which is a better developer than Dektol
    5. Avoids Metol
    6. Now this is real subjective....is it just my perception Dektol dumps delicate shadow separation.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is an old thread, but a good one so I'm bumping it - hope no one minds.

I've got a couple of cans of LPD - I bought one when I was at B&H in NYC in 2007 and I bought another can a year and a half ago. I've yet to open either one but I think it's time, since I'm flush out of Ansco 130 and have the itch to do some serious printing again.

Who's using LPD these days, and what are your tips about using it? I like the idea of using it with high dilution for warm tones in addition to using it as a normal neutral-tone developer.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Still using LPD, but haven't used any warm tone paper for a couple of years now, since I've run out of Forte polywarm tone.. The batch of LPD I'm currantly using is almost two years old and still acts fresh.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I too enjoy LPD. it is my main paper developer. I dilute it 1:3 normally. Gives good results on Ilfords MG papers. I do have a bottle of Eukobrom and Dukomol waiting in my darkroom as well. I'm going to try those alongside LPD with the new ilford classic and cool tone paper when I get around to it. I've got the serious itch to print!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Years ago I would use two developing trays one with Selctol Soft and one with Dektol. For whatever reason I thought the Dektol was too "harsh" I would develop for the first 1/3 in the Selectol and then the 2/3 in Dektol. I was using graded paper so at least to my eye I could get in between grades that way. Once I got an Aristo VC light I used Zone VI or Dektol with Ilford multigrade but it sounds like LPD is worth a try.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jim,

A timely bump of this thread for me. I just tried LPD for the first time the day before yesterday. I used it to develop two paper negatives, and I can certainly see a tonal difference from dektol and like the way they look, but it is far too soon to say anything more. I'll be making prints with it soon. It will be fun to play with the dilutions on warmtone paper, but I'm hoping to settle on one "main" dilution. Starting with 1:2 since that's what the replenishment instructions are for.

I'm planning to use it replenished and a main attraction for me is the idea of keeping a bottle of working solution always ready in my darkroom. I think I've read every thread about LPD on APUG, but always glad to read more!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin