Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,945   Online: 789

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Paper developers: Multigrade/Dektol/LPD

For paper developers, I've only used Ilford Multigrade to date. I've acquired some Dektol and some LPD paper developers, but haven't tried them as yet, and am interested in the differences that others have observed among these paper developers. For example, do Dektol or LPD yield "softer" print contrast than Multigrade? Any other differences? I'm using Ilford RC Pearl and RC Pearl Warmtone papers.

Any insights would be appreciated...

Dale

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dektol had always been my choice of developer until I tried LPD. LPD (IMO)outshines Dektol. It lasts longer, and you control tone by dilution without affecting development time. Use straight for cold tone, and dilute more for warmer tones. I still have a ton of Dektol on hand, as well as Selectol and Selectol soft, but I get the benefits of all those in one developer with LPD.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You'll see a difference with the Warm tone paper, Dektol is much colder in tone, there shouldn't be s a significant difference with contrast.

Rick, there's a big difference using Selectol & Selectol soft which can't be obtained with a dev like LPD or Dektol, it's more noticeable with Warm tone papers.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I consider Dektol to be a developer of higher contrast than Multigrade and LPD.

LPD is a bit unique here in that it lasts long enough that you can use it replenished. Same developer works fine for six months or more.

To me, LPD gives better separation in the shadows, and the highlights are 'calmer' with smoother transitions of tone than both the others. My printing system is based on Fomabrom 112 and LPD, though, so if I switched paper developers, I would have to start working on how I develop my negatives again.

Thanks,

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Dale, I have used all three of those developers and prefer LPD as well. Dektol is the most contrasty. Mutigrade is a great developer as well. But for my money LPD is very economical and lasts a long time. I've been using 130 1:1 lately and re-using the working solution for months. The stuff is amazing. It lasts forever. My recommendations to anyone looking for paper developers are LPD and 130. That's all I'll ever use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    You'll see a difference with the Warm tone paper, Dektol is much colder in tone, there shouldn't be s a significant difference with contrast.

Rick, there's a big difference using Selectol & Selectol soft which can't be obtained with a dev like LPD or Dektol, it's more noticeable with Warm tone papers.

Ian
    Ian

How does ID-78 (Ilford Warmtone, Agfa Neutol WA) compare to LPD?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Ian

How does ID-78 (Ilford Warmtone, Agfa Neutol WA) compare to LPD?

LPD is a Neutral toned developer according to the manufacturer's data-sheet, so it would be more comparable to Neutol NE (liquid) and Ilford Multigrade.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, LPD is 'colder' than ID-78 but 'warmer' than Dektol, correct?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try them with negatives you have printed before to see how you like them. Neither Dektol nor LPD will be softer. Dektol will have a somewhat colder tone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    So, LPD is 'colder' than ID-78 but 'warmer' than Dektol, correct?
    Yes, but remember that a warm tone developer is significantly warmer than a Neutral tone developer, the differences between a Colder tone developer like Dektol and a Neutral tone developer far less so. The specific cold tone developers like the discontinued Ilford Coldtone and Neutol Bl are a bit colder toned than Dektol.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin