Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,570   Posts: 1,545,486   Online: 1228

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here we go again.

Here are spectral curves and definitions of the various types of film.

PE
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dye types.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    NO!

That answers that!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    NO!
    Well, except for the ones that actually exist, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only ortho films still standing are either "line" films (Ilford, Rollei/Maco) or litho. So the answer might be more "in principle, NO!, but in practice, coincidentally yes".

Why *are* document films ortho, anyway? Is there something about pan sensitization that makes some of the document-film characteristics harder to achieve, or is it just on the assumption that any document with colors in it would need to be reproduced in color?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    Well, except for the ones that actually exist, right? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only ortho films still standing are either "line" films (Ilford, Rollei/Maco) or litho. So the answer might be more "in principle, NO!, but in practice, coincidentally yes".

Why *are* document films ortho, anyway? Is there something about pan sensitization that makes some of the document-film characteristics harder to achieve, or is it just on the assumption that any document with colors in it would need to be reproduced in color?

-NT
    I have heard/read that slower films tend to have higher contrast -- most ortho films are slow, thus they tend to be higher contrast?

Ortho films would tend to hid the blue cutlines on white paper better than pan films, perhaps?
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    For me the spectral sensitivity of ortho is not all that important. What makes this a usable film for me is the fact that you can develop it like paper and see what you are doing. All my Van Dyke browns are produced post pan to ortho.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One overall comment! Any film sensitivity can be built to have any contrast at any speed. To have a special feature, it is necessary to have a special need. Then that need is satisfied by design. (or sometimes by accident)

PE

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin