Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,347   Online: 777

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Isn't green sensitive x-ray film ortho?
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some of the earliest ortho films used Erythrosine dye.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    hehe, thanks ron !

its great being corrected

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BTDT. Sorry John.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    BTDT. Sorry John.

PE
    my knowledge base has gaping holes, it is nice to know-more
    thanks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also really like the Rollei/Maco film, though I haven't done a head-to-head comparison with the Ilford or anything. It's a little bit high-contrast, though nothing like litho film---I tend to shoot it at EI 50 and develop it in Diafine, which produces an interesting combination of high midtone contrast and highlight compression.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've gelled strobes to get the ortho look w/ Tri-X, but if you don't like filters, I'm guessing you don't like a bunch of strobes with Gels. I've had some luck getting continuous tones out of Ortho Lith, but (because I'm fairly inexperienced) I'm not sure exactly how or why one negative will have mega high contrast and some will not, I use relatively similar dilutions of Rodinal pretty much in every batch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Ortho" film usually means it IS spectrally sensitized (with sensitizing dye) for green wavelengths, in addition to blue. Non-sensitized emulsion is blue-sensitive only. Those are also available for some special purposes such as copy films as mentioned before in this thread.

All emulsions are UV sensitive also, unless there is UV absorbing overcoat.

If you like the "look" of ortho film, you can use cyan filter with pan film, but of course you still lose the ability to develop in red safelight.

But why bother as there are ortho films available? What we really lack is a medium-speed ortho film (ISO 200 or 400), but OTOH those were not available "in the old days" either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You have also Orthopan films, Acros 100 (Fuji), Efke 25, Retro 100 TONAL (Rollei-Maco). At least iso 100 and in daylight you can use the TONAL for iso 200 speed with a speed enhanced developer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertV View Post
    You have also Orthopan films, Acros 100 (Fuji), Efke 25, Retro 100 TONAL (Rollei-Maco). At least iso 100 and in daylight you can use the TONAL for iso 200 speed with a speed enhanced developer.
    This has come up several times. People have posted the spectral curves of the film and my observation is that these are just poorly sensitized pan films with low red sensitivity. They are red sensitive, just not as much as other films, so the manufacturers had to come up with a name to describe them.

PE

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin