Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,755   Online: 1093

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I'll just fall back on the examples.

In fact, I never said anything about passing or stopping anything in that post.

I never said that any filter could change the "color" energy level of a photon. Filters can block or pass photons depending on energy level.

You just seem to want to argue!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is directed towards the comments about colors and pigments.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    It is directed towards the comments about colors and pigments.

PE
    The thing that was part of the misunderstanding that green is a mix of blue?
    The thing we had already put straight?
    Only to have you reposit the entire misunderstanding again?

I see...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Q.G. View Post
    A blue filter will do. It's not about being the complementary colour in a colour wheel, but about excluding that part of the spectrum ortho film is insensitive to.
    This thread WAS about ortho film. Some had suggested filtration to render an 'ortho look' with pan film.

Subtractive?
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    This thread WAS about ortho film. Some had suggested filtration to render an 'ortho look' with pan film.

Subtractive?
    Yes.
    Apply filter(s) that are a minus type. When you filter for B/W you are not adding colour but subtracting (neutralizing/removing to whatever degree) the colour. A minus yellow (blue), minus magenta (green) or Minus red filter (cyan) or the combination of these would tend to get you close to ortho on a pan film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is why I first suggested a blue filter. Jnanian said he liked the "look" of ortho emulsions. By this I assumed he meant the typicall rendering of values we associate with prints by the old ortho glass plate landscape photographers - ie open, luminous shadows, white skies, atmoshperic haze etc. One can come pretty close by using blue filters with Panchromatic film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    Yes.
    Apply filter(s) that are a minus type. When you filter for B/W you are not adding colour but subtracting (neutralizing/removing to whatever degree) the colour. A minus yellow (blue), minus magenta (green) or Minus red filter (cyan) or the combination of these would tend to get you close to ortho on a pan film.
    And my example showed a demonstration of that effect as well as the pigment material. This demo has been used world wide to demonstrate all of the elements of filtration, color and the differences between the different methods of filtration and color reproduction.

I'm sorry if it seems to have offended one member here. As I said, look at the demo and make up your own mind.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    We're back on topic - Yay!

If you want to see something strange, try shooting imagesetter film: (depending on type) far blue and far red sensitive with a blind spot in the green - wierdochromatic
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That would be like the Kodak Infrared film.

PE

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    That is why I first suggested a blue filter. Jnanian said he liked the "look" of ortho emulsions. By this I assumed he meant the typicall rendering of values we associate with prints by the old ortho glass plate landscape photographers - ie open, luminous shadows, white skies, atmoshperic haze etc. One can come pretty close by using blue filters with Panchromatic film.

i might try my best to get over my aversion to filters .. dark blue ?

and with the others, should it be the dark filters or the light ones ?

i think that is what kept me clear of filters, there are so many different
    shades of dark that i never know which one to use ...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin