Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,402   Online: 726

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    (Ilford Ortho Plus in Rollei RLC)

[...]

It would follow that it might need around 10 1/2 minutes (8 minutes times ~1.33) in RLC 1+4. That's at box speed, which is supposed to be 80 in daylight, 40 in tungsten---I don't know what your lighting was, but you might fiddle that time to compensate one way or the other since you exposed at a speed somewhere between the two.

[...]

Yeah, don't waste your ortho film on testing it---it blocks wavelengths that the ortho film can't see, so it should have no effect to speak of. But it should give you an orthochromatic-looking image on pan film.

-NT
    Thanks for your help, I used studio flashes, so the speed should have been 80 instead of 50, shall I try 9 minutes?

By any chance do you know what would be a good filter to make the ortho film look like early blue sensitive only emulsions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, it took me a while, but I've finally processed the Ilford Ortho sheets, so that I can update this thread and show you the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10145573766_2c05411cc2_o.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	146.3 KB 
ID:	75287

Name:	painterortho.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	75286

Name:	10145498175_217a6cd83b_o.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	185.8 KB 
ID:	75288

I did a 3 minutes pre wash and then I developed them in Rollei Low Contrast 1+4 (300ml of solution) using the Jobo CPE-2 and continuos agitation at 20 °C for 9 and a half minutes

The films were exposed at 50 iso.
    Last edited by Claudia Moroni; 10-08-2013 at 03:29 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    These look great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks!

I fell in love with this combination, I'm not great at developing and all the shots I took following this process came out very well.

Name:	yann01.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	75892

Name:	yann02.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	205.9 KB 
ID:	75893

Name:	delphine01.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	209.3 KB 
ID:	75894

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I personally do not mourn the loss of orthochromatic film having had to use it for many years. With the advent of panchromatic film gone are the featureless skies and exaggerated skin blemishes. Good riddance. Orthochromatic film has very little to recommend its use.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-23-2013 at 04:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    I personally do not mourn the loss of orthochromatic film having had to use it for many years. With the advent of panchromatic film gone are the featureless skies and skin blemishes. Good riddance. Orthochromatic film has very little to recommend its use.
    I don't know---I use ortho film for landscapes routinely, and I wouldn't call the resulting skies "featureless".

Name:	4408567565_700003aa97.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	75958

I'm not sure how much the Rollei/Maco/Adox stuff represents a typical pictorial-ortho film, but it has the virtues of really fine grain, really high dynamic range, and interestingly high but still pictorial contrast.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I don't know---I use ortho film for landscapes routinely, and I wouldn't call the resulting skies "featureless".

Name:	4408567565_700003aa97.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	75958

I'm not sure how much the Rollei/Maco/Adox stuff represents a typical pictorial-ortho film, but it has the virtues of really fine grain, really high dynamic range, and interestingly high but still pictorial contrast.

-NT
    The virtues that you describe are not restricted to orthochromatic films but rather to their emulsion design. What is marketed as an ortho film may not be a true ortho film. It all depends on the spectral response of the sensitizing dye(s).
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 10-23-2013 at 06:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    The virtues that you describe are not restricted to orthochromatic films but rather to their emulsion design. What is marketed as an ortho film may not be a true ortho film.
    Well, in principle they're not unique to ortho films, but what would you nominate as a pan film with all those traits? The combination of contrast and dynamic range is pretty unusual---I don't know if it's more difficult to do that with full pan sensitization, or if it's an historical accident that document/repro films have been orthochromatic, or what. But as far as I know, in the real world that particular combination of virtues actually *is* restricted to ortho films, or nearly so.

Rollei are wonderfully inconsistent in their descriptions, but it seems that their film is sensitive up to 610 nm (I can't find the shape of the curve). Whether you consider that "true" ortho is down to your definition of the term, I suppose, but to my eye 610 nm is orange. I think the late lamented "orthopanchromatic" Efke 25 reached up to 650 nm.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is just as easy to find a pan film you like and then put the right filter over the lens!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    To make everything clear.

orthochromatic film sensitivity 375 to 560 nm
    isochromatic film range extended to 620 - 650 nm
    panchromatic film range extended to 660 - 730 nm

Sorry to be negative about ortho films but I have been going thru some of my older photos and find that they are not as good as they could have been if a better panchromatic film had been used. Of course my choices were limited at the time. On doing further research and looking at the films I used my comment about "featureless skies" may have been caused by the sensitivity of early panchromatic films. Early panchromatic films were overly sensitive to blue light and therefor did not represent colors in the correct shades of gray.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin