Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,532   Posts: 1,598,671   Online: 769

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just tried the Art300 for the first time and though my prints are still in the wash, all I can say is WOW!

I was totally blown away by the way it handles blacks. I am so used to using the chamois and the creaminess of it, but blacks weren't it's strong point. The Art300's tonal range is spectacular and incredibly rich... Yes, this is the richest paper I have held in my hands.

I had already made up my mind to use the Kentmere Bromide for this project because of the cold blacks until I printed this just on chance since I just got it. Will see how much it lightens when dry.... but man, is this paper sweet. I will definitely be using a lot of it.

And, thank you, Thomas for the recommend!
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Varya,

I am happy it worked out for you! My own introduction to the paper was similar to yours.

Also, I'm glad you didn't settle on Kentmere Bromide, because that too is no longer with us... I remember using it with pyro negs, and the blacks were amazing.

Have fun!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as I know you can still get Kentmere Bromide , grade 2 , from Silverprint in London. If the production has ended and this is the last remaining, I don't know. I also don't know how the possibilities are for importing from the UK to the US.
    Check the link below.

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=1196
    Karl-Gustaf Hellqvist

www.heliochroma.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Varya,

I am happy it worked out for you! My own introduction to the paper was similar to yours.

Also, I'm glad you didn't settle on Kentmere Bromide, because that too is no longer with us... I remember using it with pyro negs, and the blacks were amazing.

Have fun!

- Thomas
    After the prints dried I have changed my mind yet, again. I'm going with the Slavich#3 for scans and the Art300 for mounting/framing. at least today that is. I can't deal with scanning textured papers as the chamois gave me all kind of hot spots and I know scanners have difficulty registering color because the texture glistens under light. The Slavich wins because the matte and the blacks are so lovely. I tried #2 but lost the deep, rich blacks I need. The Art300 did shift a bit once dry but it still is an astounding paper and I will also use it for my new sci-fi project.

ps. I didn't like the way the Kentmere looked when dry, though gorgeous when wet. I am so used to using the Ilford Galerie as my standard paper the texture is just not the same quality. I didn't like it, though the blacks registered exceptionally well. So I am going with the Art300/Slavich combo.
    Last edited by VaryaV; 10-16-2011 at 02:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Sourdough, salami and blue cheese... and 2 dogs drooling with such sad, sad eyes. ... they're working me... they know I'll cave!

APUG Portfolio

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin