Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,249   Online: 721

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a my-weigh 120 grams capacity, 0.1 g accuracy for around 20$ new via ebay. Works very well for my darkroom needs.
    Cheers, Shesh

Not to know what happened before one was born is always to be a child - Cicero

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting ... I also use a RCBS Scale - for measuring gunpowder too ... I handload.

I've been thinking of one of the RCBS digital scales ... something like a 1,500 grain capacity with resolution to 0.1 grain - and metric scale selected through the electronics. I'll check one out ... soon.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    www.sargentwelch.com sells the Ohaus line.

By the way, in the scientific community, this is called a BALANCE, not a scale. If you're going to buy one, you won't sound scientifically ignorant if you refer to it as a balance.

A "scale" is anything that is graduated by marks, such as a ruler, yardstick, measuring cup, meter stick, etc.

A "balance" balances the force of gravity between what you are measuring and the counter weights. Most balances will be in metric--anymore, only the ones for cooking would be callibrated in avoirdupois (and they call them "scales").

Charlie

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I call my Ohaus the "dope scale" because I got it from a police station. They sell off stuff they pick up in raids. I'm sure that some dope sniffing dog would find my scale interesting. I found it very cheap and accurate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by voceumana
    www.sargentwelch.com sells the Ohaus line.

A "scale" is anything that is graduated by marks, such as a ruler, yardstick, measuring cup, meter stick, etc.
    A "balance" balances the force of gravity between what you are measuring and the counter weights. Most balances will be in metric--anymore, only the ones for cooking would be callibrated in avoirdupois (and they call them "scales").
    Charlie
    True - that is why I called the RCBS digital a "Scale".

Handloaders still use avoirdupois ... grains and tenths of a grain are very convenient "notches" ... that is the only place I still think of measurements like that. Milligrams are a shade too coarse; and tenths of a milligranm ... uh ... 100 micrograms?? are a shade too fine.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a MX 200 Pocket Scale which weighs up to 200g in 0.1g increments.

I also have a JS-50x Scale which weighs up to 50g in 0.01g increments.

These two small digital instruments are not balances, they are scales which employ a load cell as the sensor.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'm sure my Toyo 250g pocket scale is sold to more dope dealers than photographers and jewelers.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I own a scale business. We mostly sell large capacity vehicle scales(and we DO call them scales above about a 10 lb capacity) of 200,000lb capacities and up.

We also sell and service small balances. I would recommend Ohaus and AND as the better of the balances mentioned here.

As for calibration of these devices, it is extremely rare to need to calibrate(Maybe 1% of the bablances I test are actually in need of adjustment and those are in extremme heavy use applications)

If anyone here is interested in purchasing an Ohaus or AND balance PM me with the Model # and I can sell it to you for cost +$10us(the $10 will be donated to APUG).

I can accept Paypal payments.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh, my discounts generally run 30% off MSRP +freight of course

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Along these same lines...

I have never mixed formulas from scratch, but I recall reading some information a while back about using teaspoons to measure amounts. Once a volume/weight is figured out, using measuring spoons would make sense.

Is there a list for chemicals used in photography somewhere that might help in this? If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the weight change as the chemicals pick up moisture in the environment?

Thought it might help to mention this,

joe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin