Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,517   Online: 845

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    tbm
    Shooter
    35mm

Need measuring scale for powder chemicals

I need a metric-based scale that I can use to measure powder chemicals I will be using to make several film developers from recipes in Steven Anchell's book. Can anybody solve my problem, which is not being able to find a provider of that device in the U.S. on the Web? Thanks immensely for your help!

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got mine on Ebay, a used Ohaus balance. Others have gotten small digital scales, some made for powder reloading. You need to be a little more broad in your search parameters, theres a ton of stuff out there.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi,
    The scale I have is a RCBS 5-0-5 that is sold for weighing gun powder.
    It is calibrated in "grains". 15.432 grains = 1 gram. You can weight very tiny
    amounts more accurately than a gram scale. It's limitation is 33 grams. Just have to weight heavy stuff two or three times. They also sell a weight set to check the scale if you are in doubt that it's set correctly. Nice thing is it's mechanical, simple, no electronics to go out of wack.

Jennifer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a digital (oops) postal scale I bought at Office Depot. It only measures whole grams, so I sometimes have to make larger amounts of stock solutions to round up the numbers. For instance, the recipe for Pyrocat-HD calls for .2g phenidone, but the recipe makes only 100ml of stock solution. I make 1-liter of stock solution, which requires 2g of phenidone - easily measured on my scale.

It's not the best solution, but it's rather inexpensive and will work if you think ahead and are careful.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They sell scales from photographers formulary... here http://www.photoformulary.com/Deskto...ID=48&langID=0 -Grant

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm with Jennifer - in fact, I think I have the same scale. Works fine. But, as she says, if you're measuring large (ish) quantities, you have to do it in multiple batches.
    Cheers!

-klm.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tbm
    I need a metric-based scale that I can use to measure powder chemicals I will be using to make several film developers from recipes in Steven Anchell's book. Can anybody solve my problem, which is not being able to find a provider of that device in the U.S. on the Web? Thanks immensely for your help!

Terry
    Try this site. http://www.balances.com/ They typically have some of the best prices anywhere.

A good scale for what you want to do is one that has a maximum capacity of around 500 g, with a reading accuracy of 0.1 g.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I highly recommend www.balances.com. I found a decent compact scale at a good price, and it was shipped quickly (and I also use it for weighing letters and counting pennies using the "parts counter" function).

Images
    I use a My-Weigh digital. (200g X .1g). Very rarely have I had to split weigh more chems than 200 g. It has survived about 4 years of somewhat frequent use. Seems to be accurate and easy to calibrate. (It came with a 100g Calibration weight.) Easily changes weight mode, grams, ozs, ??? I think that there is a 3rd, but I'm too lazy to walk downstairs and check! It is about the size of a Palm Pilot.

Available from the previously mentioned vendors.

Inexpensive, well built and same batteries for 4 years! It has my continuing vote!
    Cheers,
    Geary

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My scale has a capacity of 250 g. Occasionally I need to do more, so I just measure in two parts when necessary (PMK solution B, for instance, is 300g Sodium Metaborate/l, but I don't need to mix it that frequently, since the stock is diluted 1+2+100).

If you plan to make your own fixer or if you need to weigh out plain hypo, definitely go for the larger size (500 or 1000g). For most developers, 250 g seems to take care of most needs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin