Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,425   Online: 1059

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Other than C-41?

I get 120 XP2 developed in a lab and print myself. The negatives are a delight to work with. OK, I have not done extensive tests comparing XP2 with Delta 400, T-Max 400 or whatever developed in x number of two-bath developers etc etc, but I find that the chromogenic negatives are the nearest I have got to that holy grail the 'fine negative'. But you have to print the negs yourself!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never had any problems with Ilford XP2 rated at 250 or 320 (dev rated at 400) with a yellow filter on the lens. Due to being dye, for me it does have a clinical look due to there being no grain. These are also known as "wedding photographer films" due to it being almost impossible to blow the highlights on those white wedding dresses. One hour quicky processing where they keep the place dust free(ish) are all I use with C41. Printing I always do myself and dare I say if you want to neg scan it then it's an ideal film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Why would you want to do these B&W chromogenic films in normal chemistry? Wouldn't it be better to do a normal film instead, an let the chromogenic films be treated in C41?

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I'm not sure if this is appropriate here, but I have learnt alot in this thread and have this question:

Since I have never developed or printed my own (yet - just another couple of weeks, maybe Santa...), if I limit myself to getting a pro lab to develop and myself to print, will that still give me the control to produce more artistic hand printed images (ie. dodging and burning etc...)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    from the c41 film XP2 seems to be the friendliest for DYI printing
    The kodaks are aimed to minilabs with that orange base.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HI
    I like the kodak 400 b/w,I take to my local walmart and they send them out to be developed, takes forever (8 days) but there alwas very nice. I'm alwas surprised to see the detail , but not to much grain. I normally use agfa b/w in a bulk roll but some time buy the kodak b/w for some thing deferent. Have not tried to develop my self, but I have a roll in one of my 35mm, maybe I'll try it first part of next week.
    Melanie

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade
    Sorry, I'm not sure if this is appropriate here, but I have learnt alot in this thread and have this question:

Since I have never developed or printed my own (yet - just another couple of weeks, maybe Santa...), if I limit myself to getting a pro lab to develop and myself to print, will that still give me the control to produce more artistic hand printed images (ie. dodging and burning etc...)?
    yes.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie
    HI
    I like the kodak 400 b/w,I take to my local walmart and they send them out to be developed, takes forever (8 days) but there alwas very nice. I'm alwas surprised to see the detail , but not to much grain. I normally use agfa b/w in a bulk roll but some time buy the kodak b/w for some thing deferent. Have not tried to develop my self, but I have a roll in one of my 35mm, maybe I'll try it first part of next week.
    Melanie
    Here's a photo taken with Kodak BW400CN developed and printed at pro lab.
    Last edited by Nicole; 07-20-2007 at 09:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Mark!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole McGrade

When I first started getting back into b/w I shot Ilford XP2 and the Kodak T400CN, and had them commercially processed. One thing I liked about the process was getting the 4x6's prints. Anyway, when I finally built the darkroom I printed up a number of images, and many printed up beautifully, and some were more difficult to get good prints out of. I have a few rolls that were overdeveloped. Judging by your posts in the gallery, you should be able to make some very nice prints. I do find though, that when you process your own film, results are more consistent, and I go through fewer sheets of paper to get the print where I want it.

Hope Santa brings you that darkroom!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin