Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,700   Posts: 1,548,406   Online: 1035

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Orwo N74 Plus and Orwo UN 54 films

These are motion picture films like Kodak's Double-X 5222.

Orwo UN 54 is a 100 ASA film, Orwo N74 is rated at 400. They are both traditional grain films and somewhat descendants of films from former East Germany, made by a company named Filmotec (formerly known as Orwo Filmfabrik). They are not available in cartridges, only in 35mm rolls, and they are quite cheap.

Did any of you ever use these films and process them in modern developers? I would very much like to see some examples...

There are the specifications:
    http://www.filmotec.de/?cat=23&lang=en
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    35mm
    The N74 looks interesting, at least on paper, but could you quote sources and price?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried to get a hold of some of this stuff a couple of years ago and it was like pulling teeth. Everyone was pointing a finger in the other direction. I couldn't believe it, I mean I wanted to give them money. Isn't that the purpose of manufacturing something? I just gave up.

There is a guy who has the Double-X project who got a hold of some. It looks pretty good. Maybe the situation has changed.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As far as I know it is only available in 35mm and only in long rolls starting at 30.5 meters/100 feet, not in ready-made cartridges. The factory sells rolls of 30 meter and longer, and there is a dealer Wephota.de but I did not try to order something yet, but looked up their prices. It seems these films are even cheaper than Fomapan. What I don't know is how they are, that's why I started this thread.
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    35mm
    I was second Patrickjames point. The http://www.filmotec.de/ site tells me the Distributor for Canada is in Denmark. (there is curently a Arctic territory dispute between the two countries) - and that Distributer when asked said "news to me - I probaly could sell you some but shipping would be expensive)

SO, Anyone knows where I can get some of this stuff without crossing Oceans, please pass the info along. I might be tempted to try some in my 16mm Movie camera if it is actually available outside of Germany. I might also be interested in giving it a go as 35mm film.
    Charles MacDonald
    aa508@ncf.ca
    I still live just beyond the fringe in Stittsville

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    There is a guy who has the Double-X project who got a hold of some. It looks pretty good. Maybe the situation has changed.
    Guilty. I have shot it at 400 asa and developed in Diafine and the various developers on my Project Double-X site. Currently I only have the Diafine images online - we have just moved house and have yet to set up the darkroom & scanning gear.

ORWO 74 N Plus
    Andy
    Per Mare, Per Terram
    Filmus Monochromus | Project Double-X | Daily Blog

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks. Did you ever try other developers with this film?

Even here in Germany you don't get these films in a shop. I did not know it is almost impossible in other countries. It is quite easy for me to call Filmotec and buy some rolls.

My suggestion: I share these rolls, I will just cut off some meters and send it to a few people who want some. There is no price tag except that you share the results and dev times :-)

The only dev time I have is for a developer named ORWO 17 which is the same as Kodak D 96.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Data sheet for Orwo N 74 is instructions 1182.
    Developer ORWO 17, similar to D 96, with the following differences:
    - KBr ... ... .. 0.8 g instead of 0.4 g in D 96 developer;
    - Ph ... ... ... .9.1 instead of 8.62 ±0.05 in D 96 developer.
    Looks good characteristic curve that I got from Orwo N74 and developer D 96.
    On the N74 I got a less fog that I make with Orwo UN 54.
    George

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Found some more:

"D76 1+1, 20 Grad Rotation, 5:00, 7:00, 9:00, 12:00

CI UN54: 0.50, 0.60, 0.66, 0.79
    CI N74: 0.43, 0.52, 0.56, 0.63

DS-10 1+1, 24 Grad Rotation, 5:00, 7:00, 9:00, 12:00

CI UN54: 0.38, 0.58, 0.65, 0.84
    CI N74: 0.46, 0.56, 0.67, 0.86 "

Source: Phototec Forum, M. Jangowski (thanks to him)
    Last edited by cmo; 02-06-2011 at 05:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added source

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So how much is, say, 1000 feet of NP74?

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin