Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,581   Online: 869

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ilford Pan 400

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Ilford Pan 400

It's a bit early for spring, in this part of the world, but it seems I'm in love.

I found this film last fall, at the camera mall in Beijing. In need of some faster film (35mm) I tried it out. I only wish I'd purchased more -- the images from it are absolutely fantastic.

I know this is subjective, but the grain is absolutely beautiful and it only got more so, on the few rolls i pushed to 1600. I used both Rodinal and DD-X to process it.

I've never seen or even heard of this film in North America, before this. Does anyone else have any experience with this film, or any information? I've always liked Ilford films but this one is quite possibly my new favorite...the look (grain, tones, contrast) are really unique.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Specifically -- how can I get this film, in North America?
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not wanting to hijack your thread too much, but what are the main differences you noticed between Pan400 and Hp5?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    Specifically -- how can I get this film, in North America?
    If you can get it closer to your home, you will save on shipping costs, but...
    Internet, global economy; you can get it in North America by ordering it from http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk/ (single rolls and 30m bulk). That's the one address I know of that carries PAN-100 and PAN-400.

I really like PAN-100; haven't tried PAN-400 yet.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Freestyle sells Kentmere 100 and 400, which, since Ilford owns Kentmere, I suspect is the same as Ilford Pan 100 and 400. Worth trying a couple of rolls to see.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcofer View Post
    Freestyle sells Kentmere 100 and 400, which, since Ilford owns Kentmere, I suspect is the same as Ilford Pan 100 and 400. Worth trying a couple of rolls to see.
    This isn't the first time that this suggestion has been made.

There is a post (maybe more than one) here on APUG where Simon Galley states that they do not permit any re-labelling of any Ilford labelled products. This rule includes their subsidiary, Kentmere.

There is at least one thread here on APUG discussing the Ilford Pan films.

Try as I might, I cannot find either of these.

EDIT: Ah, here is at least one of them (from a thread about the then newly introduced Kentmere films):

http://www.apug.org/forums/viewpost.php?p=741923
    Last edited by MattKing; 02-10-2011 at 02:37 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ilford Pan 400 is not the same as Kentmere 400. Both are nice traditional looking films.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dammit...it seems the only way I can lay my hands on this is to fly back to China. Jeez.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, you might like the Kentmere, it has pretty nice looking (and none too fine by today's standards) grain too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin