Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,659   Online: 640

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently shot a roll of HP5+ at iso 800 and souped it in HC-110 dil.B for 7.5mns but as i am not used to this developer, i checked on the Kodak charts and they recommend to agitate every 30 sec,. So I did it and the film came out very well.
    So your problem might come from a lack of agitation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Sorry, kind of unrelated, but can someone tell me I'm not crazy?

Dilution A is 1:15, B is 1:31, C is 1:19 and D is 1:39. Ok, why would Kodak choose to arbitrarily make C more concentrated than B? Am I going insane or is Kodak?
    According to Michael Covington's HC-110 resource:

"Dilutions C, D, and E seem to have been designed to match, respectively, the developing times of DK-50, DK-50 1:1, and DK-50 1:2 with sheet film (Carroll, Photographic Lab Handbook, 1979)."

Here's the link:

http://www.covingtoninnovations.com/hc110/

It is useful to remember that HC110 was originally designed to be used (often with replenishment) in commercial/mechanized environments.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Matt, I don't know why they had to break the sequence to do that, but at least there's a reason. I swear I looked... just not hard enough I guess.

I guess that means I'm not crazy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    I was shooting 120. My mix was almost 600 parts water and 9.4 parts hc110.

Also I did not know pushing was not good with dilution h, I will try using the dilutions b and a.

The reason that I used dilution h was to get longer developing times.
    When you say 600 parts water and 9.4 parts hc110, do you mean 600 ml water and 9.4 ml hc110, or is the amount of hc110 syrup less than 9.4 ml?

And to be clear, is your hc110 the more concentrated North American version, or the more dilute European version?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Matt, I don't know why they had to break the sequence to do that, but at least there's a reason. I swear I looked... just not hard enough I guess.

I guess that means I'm not crazy.
    Don't think sequence -- there is no sequence. As explained the various dilutions have a different purpose that of duplicating the development activity of other Kodak developers. People get into trouble when they make assumptions.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well when a scale is chosen arbitrarily (letters), and that scale usually follows a sequence (alphabetical order), one should be able to reasonably assume that there is some logical order to it. Only 2 dilutions don't follow the pattern; C & H.

Plus given Kodak's reputation for mistakes in their literature...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    When you say 600 parts water and 9.4 parts hc110, do you mean 600 ml water and 9.4 ml hc110, or is the amount of hc110 syrup less than 9.4 ml?

And to be clear, is your hc110 the more concentrated North American version, or the more dilute European version?
    yes and it is the north american version.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelo di Mango View Post
    I recently shot a roll of HP5+ at iso 800 and souped it in HC-110 dil.B for 7.5mns but as i am not used to this developer, i checked on the Kodak charts and they recommend to agitate every 30 sec,. So I did it and the film came out very well.
    So your problem might come from a lack of agitation.
    I don't think the problem is agitation. Dilution H calls for more time and less agitation. When I use Dilution H I only agitate 5 times at the beginning and then 5 seconds every 3 minutes.

I think the problem must be under-exposure. It looks at least two stops under, to my eyes. Could your meter reading have been off?

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well when a scale is chosen arbitrarily (letters), and that scale usually follows a sequence (alphabetical order), one should be able to reasonably assume that there is some logical order to it. Only 2 dilutions don't follow the pattern; C & H.

Plus given Kodak's reputation for mistakes in their literature...
    From what I understand, Dilution H was devised after the fact, and possibly not by Kodak, to simply be half the strength of Dilution B as an alternative for certain films that had development times under 5 minutes. Such short times would be difficult to control.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never bother with Kodak's dilutions with HC-110. I just use a couple that are easy to mix. Usually 1:50. But anyway, sure looks like under exposure to me. Your light source is above and behind your subject which can give some pretty empty shadows.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin