Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,986   Posts: 1,524,040   Online: 952

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I usually cut up a 5x7" sheet, short ways, into about 1" strips.
    I do the same. I place a small piece in an area of the image that is important to me and make a first test print. Then, using the result from it, make an adjustment based on Ralph's f/ stop timing chart, then make my full size work print. This print usally becomes my work print. I find it is so hard to see the visual impact of the whole print until I see it in full size and in desired density. Test print is nice but using small piece and using f/ stop chart, I can come pretty close and works for me.

Then work on fine tuning selective adjustments.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    I'm curious how others do their test strips, but I usually cut up a 5x7" sheet, short ways, into about 1" strips. I develop them and put them in the stop and then turn on the lights and check.

Some might poo-poo this method, but I used to fix my test strips and it just seemed like a huge waste of time. This has helped me get to a good print much faster.
    I fix my test strips, because I need them to represent the final print as well as they can. Also, I might pull 'early' test strips later during the printing session to get additional information. In other words, a totally overexposed early test strip may give a clue on much burning-in a stubborn highlight needs to reveal detail.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have test strip printers. Two in fact. I made them myself as a hybrid between the Nova Test Strip Printer and the one in Way Beyond Monochrome. They work. Problem is, they only give you part of the print. I ALWAYS have to adjust the setting after making the first work print. I have found out that (at least for me) I actually waste less paper if I make the first print full size. I don't have an f-stop timer so I use a serial sequence. This will get me in the ballpark. Then a few smaller scraps of paper will fine tune the highlights. BUT then I will find I need to change filter...... I have Ralphs excellent chart regarding this in a drawer but it is always an "almost there" experience. So one or two more paper wasted. THEN you find a spot on the filter (condenser enlargers are really good at finding spots) and decide to wash your filter.....

It's a lovely hobby.

r

Mats
    Digital is for communication, film is for documentation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/studiopirilo

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Brian

I must question that. Why do you think so?
    I think most people got this idea from Adams, who was mentions this in his books and I have seen some documentaries where he does this for the camera. I follow Les McLean's advice for dry down and test the first sheet of a box to determine dry down; usually less than 10% for Ilford. Otherwise highlights don't snap like they do when wet.

I like my test strips, they give me a chance to form ideas about sections that I hadn't previously visualized.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Knit one-perle two, knit...
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Brian

I must question that. Why do you think so?
    Ralph, I have never had problems achieving final print tones from microwave dried test strips. Have you?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mats

Replace 'wasted' with 'invested' and it may make you feel better.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Ralph, I have never had problems achieving final print tones from microwave dried test strips. Have you?
    I read Kevin's post and thought: 'yes'. I know AA proposed, or better talked about, the microwave to speed things up. I tried it and use it ever since, but I don't think he ever said that it would solve the dry-down issue. I actually tested several methods of drying a print (ambient air, forced air, heated drum, infrared, microwave and UV). There are some differences in print surface texture and image color, but they all 'suffer' from about the same amount of dry down.
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 02-11-2011 at 04:25 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I send all my test strips that look decent to our public library to hand out as book markers. My daughter punches a hole on one end and loops a piece of ribbon or string with a tassle on them for decoration. I have hundreds of pieces of my photos floating around town.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    I send all my test strips that look decent to our public library to hand out as book markers. My daughter punches a hole on one end and loops a piece of ribbon or string with a tassle on them for decoration. I have hundreds of pieces of my photos floating around town.
    Brilliant idea! I wish Ansel would have done that. Can you imagine to own a moon over Hernandez?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin