Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,011   Posts: 1,524,680   Online: 696

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a test "strip" I cut whatever paper size I'm using into 6 pieces and toss them back into the bag. 8x10 gets cut into 6 pieces, 16x20 into 6 pieces, 5x7 maybe 4 pieces since they are small. I flop one down over an important area of the photo and expose and process it with an educated guestimate for exposure. I generally print things a tad bit lighter knowing it will dry down slightly darker. I don't bother to microwave it or dry it artficially, I know what's gonna happen when it dries. I've seen it happen before enough times. Different paper dry down a little bit more or less. If you FB paper, while it's drying you can see wet spots are lighter than dry spots. With RC paper, I find Ilford has less drydown difference than other paper like Foma, but that's not a statement on the quality of the paper, as they are both good papers.

Back when I only did one type of photography, I had an exposure meter for the enlarger and it worked well with a diffuser under the lens of the enlarger. Sort of averaging, but not perfect. I do a variety of stuff now, and I don't think my method of averaging using a diffuser would suffice.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Test strips only get you so far - IMO

And, I also find there is no such thing as the correct grade of paper

Different areas of my prints need different grades and different exposure to get the best out of them

So a test strip can get you "into the ball park" and then its a seemingly never ending series of full size prints as you tune local exposure and grade across different areas of the print

However, I keep refering back to the test strips to get an idea of how much further I might need to go the get an effect I am looking for

Martin

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Martin

When I say test strips, it can mean a mosaic of test patches from any and all print areas. Once the 'quilt is done, I turn it into a final printing map. Test strips get you all the way!

But I fully agree with your last statement:

However, I keep refering back to the test strips to get an idea of how much further I might need to go the get an effect I am looking for.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Martin

When I say test strips, it can mean a mosaic of test patches from any and all print areas. Once the 'quilt is done, I turn it into a final printing map. Test strips get you all the way!

But I fully agree with your last statement:

However, I keep refering back to the test strips to get an idea of how much further I might need to go the get an effect I am looking for.
    A can see how a mosaic would work for Ralph

Isn't this also how John Sexton works

Martin

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    A can see how a mosaic would work for Ralph

Isn't this also how John Sexton works

Martin
    Martin

John taught me the technique!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin