Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,363   Online: 817

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got a bag I take to the shooting range and set it right on the shooting bench with everything else. I emptied the empty shells out of it and went flying with it. They swabbed it and didn't detect a thing.

Maybe it wasn't the tri-x but a quality control pre-spiked swab that management puts in to make sure they are doing their work and finding stuff? I lost my TSA instruction manual that got leaked to the web, but it probably doesn't cover that anyways.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

It's a photo geek joke

Quote Originally Posted by rpsawin View Post
    Actually, I had two shieled bags containing a variety of Fuji chromes...no negative materials at all.

Bob
    I think when Tri-X was invented, nitrate based film was already phased out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    every time i travel my photo-stuff
    ( film and cameras ) requires a swab
    and then questions .. it's probably just
    standard operating procedure to swab film
    and cameras ... i don't really see what the problem is ...

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I can unravel the mystery.

Today TSA uses ingenious technology. The alert went off, but not because of gunpowder traces on a film canister but because you had photographed a guy on your Tri-X who had used explosives recently... well, on Iwo Jima.

Don't tell the guys at the airport, their humour was removed by surgery. Or, if you insist on telling them, don't mention my name :-)

Attention, underground marketing ahead:

http://photographernotaterrorist.org/shop/
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

msa
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    What he said...it's not gunshot residue, they aren't even capable of detecting smokeless powder residue.

I regularly use the same backpack for travel as I do on the range, and have for years and years...it swabs clean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you a smoker? Perhaps some flint or match residue or naptha from your lighter fluid found its way there.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I was leaving from Cody airport, Wyoming, after a wonderful visit to Yellowstone in 2008, I requested a hand inspection of my boxed 4x5 negatives. The officers were very polite and obliged. With a corner of my eye, I noticed that a lady doing the inspection on another table was taking a swab, and it seemed to me, like she took a peek in the box. I quickly banished the thought - surely they would know about light-sensitive film, after all, I mentioned this was large format photographic film.

When I developed the negatives, I managed to salvage only the very few at the bottom of each pack. All the top ones were fully overexposed, and all of them had overexposed perimeters. The hand inspection was thorough, indeed.

This taught me never to ask for a hand inspection again, to tape my negative boxes shut using stronger tape, and to plan a return visit to Yellowstone.
    Rafal Lukawiecki
    See rafal.net | Read rafal.net/articles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rafal, you have to watch them like a hawk when they have your stuff. They will try to distract you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    ...They will try to distract you.
    Too much credit.

Some wag from years ago in the old Usenet News had a signature line that said, "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Or, as George Carlin used to say, "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use Neosporin or Polysporin and the pack you bags, be prepared to have all your bags opened and every swabbed. This happened to me once and I only got on the plane because the pilot saw what was going on and he gave me permission to fly.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin