Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,872   Posts: 1,520,104   Online: 809

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Explosive Tri-X!

So there I am at BWI Airport on the way to Las Vegas. In my Pelican was a Nikon F, a couple of lenses, and 2 rolls of Tri-X in a X-Ray proof bag. As expected, the person looking at the monitor calls for an inspection after seeing the bag. No problem.

So they do a swab on both rolls of Tri-X and one comes up indicating explosive residue. These were unopened canisters. They run the "explosive" one through the x-ray machine again and all is fine. While this is happening, I get the new TSA pat-down.

Everything turned out OK and the TSA folks were professional, courteous, and let me bore them to death about my '67 F after they asked about the "electronics" in them. I guess I'll start shooting with the roll they didn't run through X-ray again. My only question is what was on the Tri-X that set off the machine?
    Peter Abzug
    Inside Exposure

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the same experience leaving from New Orleans. At that time the TSA guys thought maybe my gear bag/film picked up some gun shot residue (gsr for you csi nuts) when I was in the french quarter.

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Did you have Tri-X with the old nitrate base

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I got a rubber glove search at the airport once when my camera bag came up positive for nitroglycerin; turns out the silicon gel packs floating around in the bag had some kind of residue on them which tested positive. The security guys confiscated all the gel packs but held the flight so I could get on (with the cameras I might add). Those little back rooms are badly decorated.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    See my thread about I hate to fly for another recent take on the "professionalism" of the TSA. If they can't tell the difference between mango chutney, baby food and nitroglycerine, I have absolutely no faith in their ability to keep me secure, and no desire to give them another opportunity to sexually fondle me in the name of "security".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Meanwhile as they scan your film, inspect your shoes and pat you down, a terrorist with a small block of C4 implanted in his abdomen strolls right through...

Shooter
    35mm
    Stranger things have happened... Just ask Jeff Dunham:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgcrEhhiEhA
    -Markster

Canon AE-1P 35mm | 50mm/f1.8 FDn | 28mm/2.8 FD | 70-200mm/f4-5 FD | 35-70mm/F2.8-3.5 Sigma FD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not long ago a swab on my camera bag came up positive for cocaine and that resulted in a LONG search. All sorts of rubbish ends up all over the place and security personnel have to follow the drills when they get a hit, even if they think it is farcical. I used to deal with security points doing that sort of swab testing and the endless hits were a real irritation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    Did you have Tri-X with the old nitrate base
    Actually, I had two shieled bags containing a variety of Fuji chromes...no negative materials at all.

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got swabbed, along with my then-9-year-old daughter, because her tube of toothpaste was too big. Luckily, we passed. But they still took the toothpaste.

They were very nice about the film, however, even though some of it was Tri-X.

"Farcical" is indeed the word for this. I guess in this economy we need all the jobs we can get, but ....

-Laura

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin