Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,508   Online: 899

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    holmbergers says:

f/1 is a 1:1 light ratio.
    You say
    Er, no.
    but you admit it yourself when you say:

At f1 the film 'sees' an illuminated solid angle of 53 degrees that is the same brightness as the subject
    If a camera, with the lens set to F/1, has the same brightness at the film plane as at the subject, then the opposite must also be true. If you set your light meter to f/1, and metered the baseboard image thrown by the enlarger (using a grey card for a reflective meter), then the time given by the meter should be correct. You just measured the brightness of the subject, and at f/1, according to you, the film "sees" the same brightness as the subject. Am I wrong?
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    By the time you get all of this calculated so that it is accurate I wil have been able to make at least a dozen enlarged negatives via the good old tried and true test strip method
    ditto
    Test strip is how it is done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    You admit it when you say .... Am I wrong?
    If you feel you are right, be my guest.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 02-16-2011 at 05:24 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    By the time you get all of this calculated so that it is accurate I will have been able to make at least a dozen enlarged negatives via the good old tried and true test strip method ...
    Ditto.

Not just the time for calculation -- but the time spent arguing the matter would seem even longer.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, like BetterSense says in response to Nicholas, how does that not equal a 1:1 ratio of light intensity? The subject and the the film plane are illuminated to an equal degree... 1:1. Therefore, metering in this way will get you in the ballpark. Metering different areas of the image will give you a range of exposures, and you can make an intelligent exposure based on the film's latitude. Furthermore, it can aid in development/contrast decisions. An enlarging meter would make this all the more easy.

If you feel you are right, be my guest.
    What does that even mean?

My thinking is this... when I take a picture of something, I don't make test strips in my camera. I use a light-measuring-device and apply that reading to what I know about my light-sensitive-medium. In this way, I don't have to rely on trial & error, which invariably equals waste.

I'd rather discuss the logistics of how to attain a reliable metering scheme than to be told to make 'just make test strips'.

If you can afford to cut 8x10" panchromatic b&w film into strips, be my guest, but I'm interested in making direct separation negatives from slides, as one example.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin