Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,338   Online: 751

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    If you are using HC-110 dilution H, you need approximately 380ml of working solution for each roll, in order to have 6 ml of concentrate in there for each roll.

So the dilution issue can arise with 35mm film.

I use the word "approximately" because the 6 ml requirement is Kodak's recommendation, which clearly includes some safety room.
    I was about to mention the safety margin, but saw that you did it yourself.

I read some Kodak data sheet once that said 6 mL is the recommended minimum, but only 4 mL of syrup are actually used up by a properly exposed average roll developed normally.

I have used three mL per roll and had no problems achieving normal contrast, though.

One of my thoughts on the issue is that manufacturers' stated minimums can be halved without any consequences; you can achieve normal contrast, and in all other ways get a negative that is just as properly developed as you would get from meeting the stated minimums. This is just based on my own experience, and may not be true with some oddball developers, though.

The other of my thoughts on the issues are that one who is using highly dilute developers is perhaps (if not likely) doing so in order to purposefully "suffer" some of these consequences anyhow; the stated minimums are for those seeking standard negatives developed to a similar contrast as that achieved by Kodak in its testing, but for those looking for something else, breaking the "rule" here is a special-purpose technique.

240 mL/64 = 3.75 mL, so using dilution H with 240 mL per roll is safe without a question in my book.

FWIW the guy who wrote The Darkroom Cookbook is fairly adamant that one should use 500 mL/16 U.S. oz. and no less to develop a single roll. For PMK pyro, the Formulary data sheet states the same thing. This does not improve my negatives in any way, shape, or form that I can see, and I personally find it to be quite wasteful – mainly of time, but also of chemistry. I don't do enough processing as it is; having to do twice as much would be "disastrous," in terms of my stockpiling of exposed film to be processed.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-16-2011 at 10:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Personally I've been developing my rolls with 10ml developer and 630ml water for 2 rolls each batch. No problem.

I find any amount less than 4ml is hard to gauge accurately with simple syringes and measuring cylinders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The type of shots on your rolls might matter as well. If you shoot a bunch of high key portraits that you have over-exposed and are over-developing to enhance grain, the HC-110 might get used up!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin