Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,113   Online: 879

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Time to Stock up Ilford Film (Pan-F)?

I have an opptunity to buy Ilford Pan-F b&w film 35mm 100Ft rolls in a good price. I have just checked the price in New York area. B&H, Focus camera and Calumet are already out of stock for this film. Both Adorama and Unique are asking $40 a roll. Usually this film should be in around $30 per roll when it is available.

The good thing is if I buy a lot I can get around $15 a roll. The problem is those films are dated 2005. I wonder if Pan-F (ISO 50) can be kept for a few years in cold storage and still usable, and if (the price wise) it is a good deal.

The reason I choose to stock Ilford film is, clearly, Ilford b&w film division is not in a good shape and is for sale. The reason I choose to get Pan-f is because it is the current slowest traditional b&w film in the market. Slow films are always the first one on film industry's discontinue/kill list when there is any profit related issue (think about Ilford!). Even there is no profit concerns slow films are always the targets for upgrading to a higher ISO speed . On B&W side we already saw Agfa APX25 and recently Kodak TechPan as examples of being discontinued. On color side there are too many. Kodak Royal Gold 25, Kodak Ektar 25, and Konica Impresa 50 were killed a while ago. Agfa Ultra 50 and recently Fuji Velvia 50 are all went into history because of the "upgrade".

Correction: Pan-F 50 is the slowest B&W film in Big 5: Kodak, Fujifilm, Ilford, Agfa, and Konica. Velvia 50 is not discontinued yet but could be soon if 100F is widely accepted.
    Last edited by bwfans; 09-10-2004 at 08:18 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwfans
    I have an opptunity to buy Ilford Pan-F b&w film 35mm 100Ft rolls in a good price. I have just checked the price in New York area. B&H, Focus camera and Calumet are already out of stock for this film. Both Adorama and Unique are asking $40 a roll.
    Better buy it before I do. One of the last truly great films in existence.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Freestylephoto.biz has Pan-F+ at $27.99. You could call to check stock.

The Adorama site shows it at $25.50, so you could buy it on their site.

Actually, having these stores out of stock is a good sign. It tells Ilford that customers want this product.

I would only buy the short dated film if you plan to use it within a year or so. Since you can probably find some stock with an expiration farther out, it doesn't make sense to me to cheap out.

Charlie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    c6h6o3: if anyone need this film I can probably help.

Yesterday I saw a post from Ilford's David Carper. He says low speed Ilford B&W film can be cold stored (or freezed?) and used without a problem for about 5-7 years. This is enough time for me to make final decision if I should manufacture my own B&W film if I still want to use the wet film or switch to digital .

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    With all this film going out of stock and being discontinued I'm tempted going the digi-way. Sorry, but I really hate being paranoid if my favourites will be gone.

I made some darn nice monochrome with Nikon D70 this weekend...I really hate the fact that I'm thinking 'bout changing!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ilford Film & Paper

There seems to be a bit of a panic brewing.

My dealer called Ilford in New Jersey last week and was told it was business as usual. He placed his usual order for a range film, paper and chemistry and lo and behold, here it is this week.

Maybe folks are getting their undies in a bunch for no good reason.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lpacilio

Maybe folks are getting their undies in a bunch for no good reason.
    That doesn't sound like this group.. oh yeah it does...
    hi!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've been told by a major photo dealer in NC that Ilford claims business as usual and nothing is going to change.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    I've been told by a major photo dealer in NC that Ilford claims business as usual and nothing is going to change.
    I just hope Ken Lay is not working for Ilford now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lpacilio
    There seems to be a bit of a panic brewing.

My dealer called Ilford in New Jersey last week and was told it was business as usual. ...
    What else do we expect Ilford to tell? To sell their B&W film business they have to tell everyone the business is as usual.

Is it possible after trimming 50% head counts? Really, "as usual"?

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin