Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,559   Online: 930

Shooter
    35mm

Dev time question ...

Suppose we have two films that are stated to be of the same speed. Assume that the
    developer, dilutions, temperature, agitation procedure, etc. used by the manufacturer
    in determining film speed are identical for the films.

Question: What, if anything, can be inferred from the difference in the standard
    developing time suggested for the films by the manufacturer? (Of course, for the same
    developer, dilution etc.)

Thanks --- Karthik

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A very vague question. Sounds like homework. But we definitely need a little more detailed info. I do, anyhow.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    A very vague question. Sounds like homework. But we definitely need a little more detailed info. I do, anyhow.
    Vague - yes. Homework - no. Just curious.

I was wondering what influences the time taken by the same developer to produce a particular density in different films, keeping factors like dilution, temp etc. the same. I am not thinking of any particular films. And I have no way of knowing that a manufacturer's testing methods are consistent across all films.

For instance, it is conceivable that conventional grain and tabular grain differ in the speed with which the latent image sites react to the developer. Or it might depend on the proportion of different halides in a film? Or some physical characteristic of how the emulsion was coated onto the base?

I of course realize it is not going to be determined by some single easily stated quantity/process. Nor would this knowledge make much of a difference in using either film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I predict a heated argument in about page 10....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Definitely argument material. I would guess there are many potential factors, including the thickness of the emulsion coating, the way the crystals were "grown", shape, size, whether or not the emulsion is "silver rich" versus dye rich, etc. Perhaps even the degree of hardening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This sounds like the sort of question one might investigate if one was trying to "reverse engineer" a film.

It is an interesting way to approach it.

I might hazard a guess that the question of sensitizing dyes might come up.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    I guess it is not argument material after all. Too hypothetical, no way to support/refute any claim one could make. I was hoping someone would mention references (books/online) for this sort of thing.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin