Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,763   Posts: 1,516,187   Online: 1014

Shooter
    Multi Format

Negative Defects

Hi,

I developed three roles of film in three different tanks and they all turned out the same greenish cast on the emulsion side and gray on the plastic side.

I checked my exposure, temperature, development time, and sufficient agitation were all correct.

Could the D76 developer stock (diluted 1:1) was too weak? I used 11 min for Ilford HP5 ISO 400.

I used a Patterson two reels tank system and loaded one reel with film and inserted the second reel without film. I used a total of 10 OZ of working solution. Perhaps the problem was loading the empty second reel that prevent the 10 OZ of working solution to properly develop the loaded reel.

I did not mix the D76 and is available in a shared darkroom (without supervision) in a community college.

Thanks so much for any suggestions,
    C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 110217_02_Plastic Base.jpg   110217_01_Emulsion Base.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Possibly under fixed. How old is your fixer, and what time did you use.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That is unfixed film. Run it through the fixer and washing steps again to clear it. Use fresh, unused fixer if your school recycles it.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fixer is in a 10 gallon tank. A second 1 gallon container is used for film and paper. I tested and checked the fixer and it was not cloudy. I fixed for 8 min., Agitate first 30 second non-stoop. Agitate 10 seconds each minute. Also used Hypo for 2 minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The fixer in the 10 gallon tank was made in Dec 2010

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    That doesn't change the fact that the film is not fixed. Dead developer causes completely different issues than what you show. To be sure about fixer quality mix a fresh batch of fixer and do it again.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try a fixer clip test on a piece of leader.

Put a drop of the fixer on the film leader and wait until the area under the drop goes clear.

Then immerse the leader in fixer, agitating regularly.

Time how long it takes for the clear area under the drop to be indistinguishable, and the rest to clear.

If it is a traditional type of film (HP5+ is fine) it should be about 3-5 minutes.

If it is much longer, or doesn't clear at all, the fixer may have been contaminated.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with the other comments - it appears to be poorly fixed film. Matt's suggestion as to how to test fixer is one I use often.
    Re-fix in freshly made fixer, wash, use some Photoflo and I'm pretty sure you'll see the difference immediately.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All kinds of strange things happen in shared darkrooms. Well, strange things happen in my personal darkroom, too, but that is entirely a different story!

Look at the margin of the film. If fixer worked, that part, unexposed, will be totally clear. It isn't. That means fixing process didn't work for whatever reason.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin