Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,519   Posts: 1,572,218   Online: 885

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Motherload!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A scan of the old agfa logo..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails agfa.jpg  

Images
    Man, All my father in law ever gave me was my wife Have fun playing with the motherload.
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the paper was kept in a cool place, you may be in luck. It'll probably have a bit of "cosmic fog", but even that can be dealt with. As for the chemicals... I bought a bunch of Perceptol that had been sitting on a store shelf since the 1970's, you know, those nice little cardboard cans with the pop tops. I paid a whole dollar for a half dozen cans, so I figured I had nothing to lose. I mixed up a quart and processed a test roll of Pan F+ - perfect!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Images
    Sean,

Even if the paper from a given box proves to be unusable, don't discard it. It should still be possible to fix, hypo clear, and wash it. It can be used for back to back mounting of other prints made on newer paper. Likewise, using the old stuff on the back of a mounted and matted print will counteract any tendency for curl.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean,

I did in fact print some older Agfa papers a few years ago, and they did produce a slightly fogged print. With the right chemistry I'm sure you can make use of them.
    The paper had, just like your paper, been stored in a 'cool' place. The prints looked cool the way they did, in my opinion, even though they were probably not tonally correct.

Good luck and have some fun with it!

- Thomas
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

You asked if you have a motherload of useable paper or a motherload of antiques. You have neither. You have a motherlode of one or the other. But I do hope it prints well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin