Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,801   Online: 1066

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'd be pretty surprised if the Ultrafine films were HP5. Maybe Kentmere, which is also produced by Ilford's parent company Harman. Glad to see some good results, though.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC, the actual manufacturer of this rebranded film has changed several time since this brand name first appeared. This is an ongoing problem with rebranded film. I have some in my freezer and I know that my film is not Ilford.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

PDH

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I bought some a few months ago, I did a cross walk comparing developing times, seems to match Forma. I have not shot any yet but I recall that that the last time I shot Forma 4X5 and 120 400 and 100 had blue cast while the 200 did not.

Shooter
    35mm
    Gerald,
    The Ultrafine, and Ultrafine Plus, both appear to be different manufacturers based solely on packaging. My guess would be Chinese for one or both of those lines. I have never tried the official GP3 film, but I have read the curl is similar to what I saw.

The Extreme line is a relatively new animal, and that is the one that has "Ilford Like" packaging. I ordered some real HP5 in 120 today, so I will do a direct one to one comparison of the Extreme 400 in 120. The 35mm product may be a completely different film as well. I just haven't tried it. Other reports on Flickr of the Extreme 100 in 35mm seem to be favorable, but it only comes in 35mm.

FWIW they also have a couple other items that I personally have been very happy with for the $, I am hesitant to even draw attention to what stock they might have left. I plan to stock up while I can, but who knows they may have a couple metric tons of this stuff. There is an off label APX100 35mm 24 exp rolls at $1.49 (I have tons of bulk APX400 so I haven't tried it myself but they have it for a dime more per roll). The other is "Chromogenic 400 B & W C-41 Film 35mm x 27 Exposure" for $1.59. Granted this is the only pseudo B&W film I have tried, but I personally loved the look. Any ideas on who could be making this stuff? I only know of the Kodak and Ilford brand C41 B&W.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by engineerchris View Post

The other is "Chromogenic 400 B & W C-41 Film 35mm x 27 Exposure" for $1.59. Granted this is the only pseudo B&W film I have tried, but I personally loved the look. Any ideas on who could be making this stuff? I only know of the Kodak and Ilford brand C41 B&W.
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your information. Rebranded film can be very confusing. I can only say that Kodak never knowingly permits its film to be rebranded.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your information. Rebranded film can be very confusing. I can only say that Kodak never knowingly permits its film to be rebranded.
    Unless you sell a gazillion rolls of it, have a business named Freestyle, and sell Plus-X and Tri-X as Arista Premium... Link
    But that's the only case I'm aware of to date.

And Ilford has openly stated that they don't do OEM film deals any more, after Harman bought the business following their stint in receivership.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Unless you sell a gazillion rolls of it, have a business named Freestyle, and sell Plus-X and Tri-X as Arista Premium... Link
    But that's the only case I'm aware of to date.

And Ilford has openly stated that they don't do OEM film deals any more, after Harman bought the business following their stint in receivership.
    Ilford will, however, manufacture film for others on a custom, "you supply your desired characteristics" basis.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Ilford will, however, manufacture film for others on a custom, "you supply your desired characteristics" basis.
    True. Like Kentmere film. (Even though they technically own the company).
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what ive heard the 35mm ultrafine films have not been so great. I would be really surprised to see that their 120s are ilford! Id get myself a case and not chase after ebay deals lol
    Last edited by Newt_on_Swings; 06-18-2011 at 01:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I have been advised that Kodak may also be doing this. Since Kodak no longer manufactures Plus-X the Arista Premium 100 may be a custom formulation.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin