Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,967   Posts: 1,632,619   Online: 982

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    Here's my results from Ultrafine 100 in 120 format. Never again. I stick w/ Kodak and Ilford now. If you like circles, dots, and even film numbers on your images, this is your film. As for customer support, I called them on this. A very pleasant woman answered the phone, and said she was going to get someone who knew more than she did about the film to answer my questions. That was a couple of months ago. I'm still waiting.

By the by, Freestyle has Tri-X in 24 exp (35mm) for just $3.99, and the 36 exp is only $4.39 a roll after an instant rebate. We're all going to be kicking ourselves if we pass this one up.
    Same mottling, same dot pattern and same font that I got on my negatives with Shanghai GP3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CNV00005.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Arctic amateur View Post
    Same mottling, same dot pattern and same font that I got on my negatives with Shanghai GP3.
    That mottling and dot pattern looks very similar to a half roll of 35 mm Fuji Neopan SS 100 i recently processed as a test. Mind you, it had an expiry
    date of Apr 1968 .

When it dried it curled up lengthwise to about the diameter of a pencil. I've never seen anything like it. Was a real b*gger to flatten and scan.

Shooter
    35mm
    What about the 35mm, especially 400 speed? Is it also problematic, or is this decent film? Any help appreciated.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've used and had very similar poor experiences with the Ultrafine Plus 100 film as noted here.

All of my film had the 'bleed through' numbers and dots on it regardless of what camera it was shot in and how little light was allowed into the roll itself. The grain was a mottled mess just like the samples here already and it curled so bad that I had to use a mask around each frame to hold it down enough to get a scan.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails e3de4b4ce775b541956cee75ffbcf58fd094fe-1.jpg   df606048524ee7ad659e0f2c3335a60747344c.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can report that I tried some of the Ultrafine 100 film that was given to me. Shot a test roll and got exactly the same marks as above, with numbers and dots being imprinted on the film from the backing paper text.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Note that Ultrafine and Ultrafine Xtreme are not the same films. I've used the Xtreme in 35mm, and I've heard rumored that it is Kentmere. In any case, it is great stuff and well worth buying.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Christian View Post
    Note that Ultrafine and Ultrafine Xtreme are not the same films. I've used the Xtreme in 35mm, and I've heard rumored that it is Kentmere. In any case, it is great stuff and well worth buying.
    Yes, they are different as night and day. I just developed two rolls of Ultrafine Xtreme 100 120 film in FX-37 and it came out just fine. Nothing like the Ultrafine 100 junk film with dot patterns. I wouldn't give that film to my worst enemy. Well, maybe I would. JohnW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot and developed Ultrafine Xtreme 100 in 120 format over the summer, and am on my second batch of a ten-roll pack. I've seen no problems with the dot patterns on this film, though I am careful to load and examine the film numbers in shade. I will say that the film curls very tightly and is very difficult to load onto a spool. Last time I developed I ended up trashing a roll in frustration because I couldn't get it loaded. This was mostly due to lack of patience on my part, because I was able to load the other two rolls with some effort. As a hobbyist, the film is worth the frustration because of the cost, but I wouldn't recommend it for a professional.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad to hear the Xtreme version works well. Didn't mean to generalize and say all Ultrafine film is not fit for consumption.

I will use my remaining 9 rolls of the regular Ultrafine to season film developer since it is, for all practical purposes, useless.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I'm glad to hear the Xtreme version works well. Didn't mean to generalize and say all Ultrafine film is not fit for consumption.

I will use my remaining 9 rolls of the regular Ultrafine to season film developer since it is, for all practical purposes, useless.
    Tom,
    I could think of no better use for the Ultrafine 100. I have no more of it left. Thank God! The Ultrafine Xtreme 100 (new stuff exp. date 2016) has some curl, but I use Hewes reels and it takes me about 20 seconds to load one so it's not that bad. When dry it is pretty flat and easy to load in my scanners film holder. Oh, like has been said, it's priced right. The backing paper looks like Ilford, but I don't know who makes it. John W

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin