Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,569   Online: 1149

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Ultrafine Brand Film

Does anyone have any Idea as to what this Utrafine 100, 400iso film and Ultrafine 'extreme' 400iso film is? Its cheap, its in 120 and 135 format...I wonder what film they are using these days and re-branding as their own?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some reports say Lucky from China. But I have no way to verify that.

If it were me looking into purchasing it, I'd just get a brick and try it out to see if I like it or not. Maybe it isn't important who makes it?
    Or, if you're like me, you're curious and want to know anyway...

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, i'm the curious sort. Especially since i'd like to have some idea what i'm working with. I ordered two of each format, i'll see what they do with acufine and tmax dev. I'll post up some images when i get finished. I figure, Kodak isn't helping us by maintaining emulsion types and constantly raising prices, maybe i'll go for something cheaper. I assume, the old adage will apply, though, that you get what you pay for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, you usually do get what you pay for. I went down the route of using less expensive film a couple of years back, and I ended up shooting two frames of everything, just to make sure one of the negs didn't have a bad pinhole in it or something. So I ended up using a lot more film, at the same or more cost.

Kodak, Fuji, Ilford = pretty trouble free operation. The peace of mind of knowing that my results will be as I expect is worth the extra money per roll for me. But at the time I really didn't have a choice either. It was all I could afford.

Either way, good luck with your test. I've tried Lucky film in the past (which I think the 100 and 400 is). Interesting antihalation properties, scratches easily in processing, but otherwise fine film. Have fun!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My friend and apug member Dehk has shot some lucky recently with very favorable results...it seems to be a cost effective variation. I'm also looking for this film for a large project that is going to involve at least a brick of film, all told.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From what I know. Lucky doesn't make (or no longer makes) 400 speed. Neither does Shanghai. As I buy them from my cousin in that part of the world.

Last I heard those Ultrafine are Foma Pan.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm
    I started on a brick of the 400 extreme today. Based solely on packaging it sure looks allot like Ilford. I have not developed anything but the times line up with HP5 relatively well. What little info I have seen for user impressions on the web was not good. It is cheap enough to see for myself. When I get done souping I will post up my thoughts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've shot some of the "PLUS" 400 in 135 in PMK
    It's really thin base. I didn't notice scratches and I was spooling it myself from a 100ft roll.
    It's not bad for the moolah.

Here's a shot in contrasty (hate that word) light.

It's a bit grainy and the s*an doesn't help.
    I haven't really formed a solid opinion on this stuff yet.
    Last edited by brucemuir; 04-16-2011 at 07:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: resized

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell-on-a-stick View Post
    My friend and apug member Dehk has shot some lucky recently with very favorable results...it seems to be a cost effective variation. I'm also looking for this film for a large project that is going to involve at least a brick of film, all told.
    If you are using 35mm for your project, be sure to check out the alternatives from Freestyle. They have repackaged Fuji and Kodak film for about two bucks per roll.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2F,
    The arista premium went up as of 4/11 but it's still a good deal.
    I just missed grabbing some AP400, the 100ft roll is now 45.00
    Last edited by brucemuir; 04-16-2011 at 07:21 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin