Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,334   Posts: 1,537,525   Online: 1048

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Stanworth View Post
    Expensive, but I agree it is the best all round paper on the market for depth and tonal range. In Eukobrom it is relatively neutral in tone too.
    Anyone know if Eukobrom is available in the US?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Just wanted to update everyone on where I'm at with these two papers at this point, and hopefully generate more discussion here.

I'm now in the process of printing three images for a local land conservancy art auction next month. I've recently given up on 130 BZT that I was using. I compared prints from LPD and also 130 BZT on MGIV and determined the results were so close and actually found the LPD to be slightly colder on MGIV after a heavy selenium. LPD is a phenidone based developer with organic anti-fogging agents (benzotriazole, and who knows what else!) but the tone on MGIV at 1:3 dilution is fantastic after a heavy selenium toning of 6-8 minutes at 1:9. My first image was printed this way and I couldn't be happier with the results, cold charcoally tones.

Next image was just toned today. It was on MGWT and developed in LPD 1:3. My attempt was for a split tone, with black shadows and just a hint of yellow to the highlights. Must say, I know things need to be cut way back when toning MGWT but this was the most subtle toning I've done so far on MGWT. First selenium toned 1 1/2 minutes at 1:19. Just a hint of warmth to the shadows. Then hypo clear and long wash. Then a massively dilute bleach (1g of pot ferri and 1 g of pot bromide per liter) for only 25 seconds. Toned with a medium high amount of accelerator. Print looked great when wet, but as usual lost much of its color after drying. I also lost some highlight detail. At this point I'm rather frustrated with MGWT when it comes to split tones. The negative is still in the enlarger and I plan to re-print the same image in the next few nights on MGIV and attempt to split tone with selenium, sepia and maybe even a hit of gold.

Also, I ordered some Neutol WA from Freestyle to try with MGWT. Don't like to try new things all the time, but it's worth a shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Today, while watching the ongoing train wreck in another thread, this post

caught my attention. Since Rodinal results in coarse grained negatives, and considering that it's fine grain which gives images warm tonality, has anyone tried developing MGWT FB in Rodinal to cool it? I won't be printing for a while, but plan to give that combination a test drive for the fun of it next time our bathroom becomes a temporary darkroom.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Sal,
    Should be a nice experiment. The (very old) Rodinal ad I posted in that other thread mentioned a dilution of 1:40 for contact prints and 1:80 for enlargements.
    Bert from Holland
    http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    "Have fun and catch that light beam!"
    Bert from Holland
    my blog: http://thetoadmen.blogspot.nl
    my Linkedin pinhole group: http://tinyurl.com/pinholegroup

* I'm an analogue enthusiast, trying not to fall into the digital abyss.
    * My favorite cameras: Hasselblad SWC, Leica SL, Leica M7, Russian FKD 18x24, Bronica SQ-B and RF645, Rolleiflex T2, Nikon F4s, Agfa Clack and my pinhole cameras

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    WT is only equaled by ADOX Variotone Premium. The ADOX paper has a white base and readily tones. Ilford WT has open shadows and richer tonality than MG1V.

Ilford WT toned in KRST 1:15 does not get plummy shadows and oyster light tones like Bergger WT and Forte PWT. Those papers readily split toned in selenium.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 02-17-2014 at 07:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    ...Since Rodinal results in coarse grained negatives, and considering that it's fine grain which gives images warm tonality, has anyone tried developing MGWT FB in Rodinal to cool it? I won't be printing for a while, but plan to give that combination a test drive for the fun of it next time our bathroom becomes a temporary darkroom.
    Increasing ambient temperatures here (air and water) are right on the cusp of ending my ability to print for the season, but I squeezed in one more session. MGWT FB thumbed its nose at Rodinal. Prints were just as warm as those from most other developers. Oh, well.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 378910111213

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin