Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,452   Online: 904

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm searching the 'ole memory banks here, but I recall quite warm tones with Portriga Rapid developed in Dektol. That may explain why Steve likes GAF 125 with Ilford MGWT.
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's so strange. With dektol I hear some say it's cold and others say its warm, or imparts a "greenish" image tone, which to me means a warm tone.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    GAF 125 appears to be Dektol (Kodak D-72) in all respects except for one: it contains less carbonate (65 grams as opposed to 80). This is quite interesting to me as I've always thought of Dektol as one the coldest of developers. Certainly too cold for Steve's work. I guess the reduced activity from backing off on the accelerator must also affect print color.
    I must say I am surprised to say the least how such small differences can haver such a different look.

No Jim I have not tried Azo and 125 but will if time permits.

The whole test came about because I had been mixing and using GAF 135 for twenty years with all the Portriga that I have, had always assumed it was a warmer tone developer.

One day I am printing Azo with a slight variation on the MAS Amidol forumla, at the end of the printing session I was making plans for the next morning's printing session where I had planned on using MGWT and wanted to get the initial print times dialed in and used the Amidol to get those initial times. To my amazement the Amidol produced a noticeably warmer looking print than those I had made with the GAF 135 I had been using for years with MGWT.

This prompted me to look through Anchell's Darkroom Cookbook for some suggestions on warm tone developers. I came across the GAF 125, with two formula variations, one using Sodium Carbonate and the other Potassium Carbonate with the latter supposed to produce slightly warmer results. In my initial tests of the two developers the Pot Carb did not show me a difference in warmth while requiring a noticeable increase in printing times or reduced paper speed.

Interestingly, that first go around with the GAF 125 actually produce a warmth with MG1V that I was accustomed to with GAF 135 and MGWT.

As an aside, just to torture the souls who are fixated on print color like me, Azo, Amidol and a Thiourea sepia combination can be extraordinary, and fleeting.
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Steve, I would love to see photos of these prints, framed up, from the show, or whatever you have. I know I won't be able to see the subtle print color on a computer monitor of course, but it would still be interesting.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    John, I know in the past you used cold tone developers sometimes with MGWT. Are you still doing so?
    I now just use the Ilford Warmtone Developer and Agfa Neutol WA. For now my taste is on the warmer side of things....but the MGWT can even get a colder look than the regular MGIV if used on the right cold tone developer. If cold tones are what you want then try Clayton Ultra Cold Tone for a real nice look. When combined with sepia toning or polytoner you can get some really cool colors out of it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    I might suggest that the corners flaking off are a result of using a razor blade to trim and finalize the print for dry mounting. I used to use a razor blade and metal straight edge to trim prints and I would on occasion see the corners chip off either before or after dry mounting.

Some years ago I purchased a Roto Trimmer, I said then and still say now, the single best purchase I have made for my photography in the past 15 years. I have not seen a chipped corner since.
    yeah, i use a rototrimmer as well and still have the problem, problem improved when I put in a new blade...but I did not think that trimming prints could wear the blade down.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Simmons View Post
    I now just use the Ilford Warmtone Developer and Agfa Neutol WA. For now my taste is on the warmer side of things....but the MGWT can even get a colder look than the regular MGIV if used on the right cold tone developer. If cold tones are what you want then try Clayton Ultra Cold Tone for a real nice look. When combined with sepia toning or polytoner you can get some really cool colors out of it.
    John, this is so interesting to me. This is something I am definitely going to try. I like the idea of cooling MGWT down. I'm curious as to whether the paper would not jump so quickly to brownish-purple in selenium after such a cold developer.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    John, how do you feel the clayton ultra-cold tone compares the Ilford's old Cooltone developer no longer available? And also, are you developing 2 or 3 minutes in these developers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    I might suggest that the corners flaking off are a result of using a razor blade to trim and finalize the print for dry mounting. I used to use a razor blade and metal straight edge to trim prints and I would on occasion see the corners chip off either before or after dry mounting.

Some years ago I purchased a Roto Trimmer, I said then and still say now, the single best purchase I have made for my photography in the past 15 years. I have not seen a chipped corner since.
    Fully support this having printed, matted and framed 40 images for an exhibition last year. Ruined about 8 prints before finding the right temperature and time on the dry mounting press and discarding the ruler and knife for a roto trimmer.

About half the images were from my stock of Agfa MCC and half on Ilford WT. I wish the Agfa was still available and am currently trying out the ADOX alternatives. Initial opinion is the gloss surface finish is a bit dull.
    As as others have said I think the Ilford WT would be my choice as best paper going around at the moment.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Steve, I would love to see photos of these prints, framed up, from the show, or whatever you have. I know I won't be able to see the subtle print color on a computer monitor of course, but it would still be interesting.
    I am trying to update my website to include some newer work, some of which will be in the Toronto show. I would encourage all serious photographers to make the trip to Toronto sometime during the month of May. My understanding is the city will play host to over 200 photography shows during the month.

In addition to all that, the lineup of talent that Bob Carnie has put together for a week long symposium on alternative photographic processes is extraordinary, see here http://www.alternativeprocess.ca/cat...vents/upcoming
    Real Photographs are Born Wet !
    http://www.steve-sherman.com

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin