Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,968   Online: 913

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Using Graded paper vs VC paper

I have been looking around and see that there are still some graded paper options out there. Since I have been printing in a darkroom I have only used VC paper. Is there any significant advantage or reason as to why switching to graded paper would be a good idea? Do you still use filters when printing on graded paper? Thanks for any input.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think you can get some information through this thread that was active a short while ago.
    Good luck !

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/8...-obsolete.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    VC/MG or graded is a matter of choice, but variable contrast papers are now so good there's little or no advantage of using fixed grades.

An issue with graded papers is few manufactures offer a full range if grades or emulsion types. So Ilfords Premium FB paper Gallerie is now only available in grades 2 & 3 and Ilfospeed RC in 1,2 & 3.

With a far wider range of VC/MG papers the demand for graded papers has dropped to a very low level, and VC/MG papers give far greater flexibility.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't use filters for graded paper. As K-G suggests, do a search on this forum for the topic and you will find numerous threads and lots of info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    You don't use filters for graded paper. As K-G suggests, do a search on this forum for the topic and you will find numerous threads and lots of info.
    There can be a slight change in contrast with different filters and some fixed grade papers, there's at least one thread about it here on APUG.

Ian

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snay1345 View Post
    ... Is there any significant advantage or reason as to why switching to graded paper would be a good idea? ...
    Some folks will swear that it is worth to switch to graded papers. Be that as it may, I'm not willing to give up the printing flexibility of variable-contrast papers for it. Having all grades within one sheet of paper is an unbeatable advantage and allows to make prints, you just cannot do with fixed-contrast papers.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snay1345 View Post
    I have been looking around and see that there are still some graded paper options out there. Since I have been printing in a darkroom I have only used VC paper. Is there any significant advantage or reason as to why switching to graded paper would be a good idea? Do you still use filters when printing on graded paper? Thanks for any input.

No, you don't use filters, the paper is the grade it is. But for example, when living on Maui, where conditions are fairly much the same, I "dialed in" film/chemistry etc, and was printing on Agfa Brovira. NO MG/RC paper can match the look of certain graded papers, such as the old Brovira.

I've since switched to Foma 542 for certain shots (the look is fantastic) before they changed to 542-II, and there is a surface of Foma that just rocks in LPD developer.

Sounds as if you're just beginning. Try different things, and find what works for you. I went from Agfa RC paper to graded, then tried Ilford MC (huge let down), and am quite pleased with Foma velvet surface matte paper.

Also the LPD brand of paper developer really brought out everything whereas the Kodak developer was only fooling me for years. I've gone back and re-printed many images. It is that good.

Just try some 5x7 boxes from Freestyle, and judge for yourself.
    If the lens doesn't read "ZEISS", then it just isn't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bemoan the loss of Grade 5 paper --I cannot seem to get Grade 5 with Magenta filters in my LPL or Durst with the built-in filters and have tried some 'below lens' filters and they seem to have faded .
    An 'Old Dog still learning New Tricks !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't used graded papers in a very long time, but some excellent ones still exist. I understand that some graded papers may respond a bit more to developer manipulation to control contrast than the VC papers, but I have no recent experience. The current VC papers are excellent and are generally at least equal to the quality of graded papers. Although I am not that great a printer, I enjoy the ability to tweak the contrast by small amounts with VC papers and also the ability to burn at a different contrast and to control local areas of contrast. You can't do that sort of thing with graded paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you really want to learn to shoot, use one grade of paper, and learn to expose properly for it. The old-timers didn't have the availability of MG paper, and had to learn to optimize their exposure for a single grade. St Ansel helped develope the zone system to help with that. Personally, I'm happy that VC papers exist, makes exposing for different situations much easier.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Page 1 of 13 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin