Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,696   Posts: 1,482,504   Online: 951

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It maybe anything that smells.
    Use LPD (No metol) as developer, try using citric acid for stop bath and
    hypo-only fixer and see if there is any difference.

As someone elese said one of those ionic air purifiers may help

Are you allergic to something else?
    Has Clarytin any effect on your sore throat?
    Last edited by titrisol; 09-13-2004 at 10:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    just a little silly suggestion

go to the doctor. I wouldn't go to a doctro to get advice on developing times or film choice. I also would not go to a bunch of photographers for medical advice.
    almost too silly to mention

I have been - he told me not to worry about it.

If you read my original post you'll see there was a distinct lack of request for tips on how to treat my sore thoat ... I was asking if anyone else had had a similar reaction to either of the chemical formulae I am using - and if so, what they did to get around the problem. I guess i didnt think it that odd to ask a group of people who use these substances daily what their experiences of this was ....?

Anyway - thanks for the helpfull advice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you sure you haven't got a cold or something. I have been carrying a sore throat and chesty cough for nearly 2 weeks now. It is apparently doing the rounds at the moment.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sparx
    Are you sure you haven't got a cold or something. I have been carrying a sore throat and chesty cough for nearly 2 weeks now. It is apparently doing the rounds at the moment.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Arew you using acetic stop-bath? Have you tried citric acid instead?

Have you tried taking a clarytin or similar pill?

are you allergic to soemthing else?

Is you darkroom clean? no mildew?

I edited my previous post, but maybe one of those ionic air-cleaner can help you
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Large Format
    Metol allergies usually cause rashes and itching, from my haz waste days I know ammonia causes irritation of the mucous membranes (your throat has them). I am willing to bet your problem is lack of ventilation. Ammonia gases can accumulate and cause this reaction. I have had it, just not in the DR. Until you get your ventilation, I would suggest you cover your fixer tray, this should take care of it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    great - thanks Jorge and everyone else.

Images
    I've had similar issues when using Edwal Ultra Black. I switched to Neutol WA an the symptoms went away... go figure
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Leon....

First, if you go to ink jet & digi*** I will renounce you as my idol! haha

Now...is there any place you can get an MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet) on the chemicals you are using. They usually have all the side effects and special handling info for the chemicals. If there is even an outside chance that you are having a reaction to these chemicals it will be in the MSDS.
    Ammonia is a seriously nasty chemical! It likes to eat away those cute little hairs in your nose that help to filter out the bad icky stuff in the air. So, if you are in a room without ventilation, with our friend Mr. Ammonia...this is like a really not-so-good-thing!
    There you have it...advice from Dr. BWGirl! haha (Hey! The cows listen! )
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm allergic to a long list of things and 10-years ago spent a lot of time with doctors. I learned a lot - mostly that you are going to be the best judge of what you may have a problem with.

Doctors can do skin and blood tests to check for allergies to natural stuff - weeds, tree pollen, grass, dust, etc. They don't have tests for what they distinguish as chemical sensitivities. I'm very sensitive to something in perfumes. The only thing the doctors could tell me to do was to determine through trial and error what chemicals I was sensitive to, and to avoid them.

I did undergo allergy shots for the things I was allergic to - weeds, pollen, etc. After my allergies were reduced, I found my chemical sensitivities reduced, too. My body was healthier, and thus not so sensitive to chemicals.

If you think the darkroom chemicals are to blame, use good laboratory practices. The suggestions for ventilation and filters are good, but you should avoid touching the chemicals, too. If the problem continues, begin eliminating chemicals one by one to see what is causing a reaction. There have been good suggestions here - I'd start with the fixer and stop bath. Then I'd try eliminating metol and continue testing from there.

If you are chemical sensitive, you have a long journey, but through hard work, you can get better. When I began, I was so sensitive to perfume, I could not walk down the laundry detergent aisle at the supermarket to purchase the unscented detergent. I had to find a clerk to get it for me. Yesterday, I walked down the detergent aisle with impunity as I purchased a box of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda - sodium carbonate for my Pyrocat HD. Ha.
    juan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin