Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,614   Online: 959

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it is allergic you would also wheeze as your throat constricted. You would feel it down into your lungs. Try Claratin D and see if that clears things up. It is over the counter here. Another thing to try is Benedryl which is the first thing they would give you for a allergic reaction that is mild. A severe reaction and you would have trouble breathing in minutes. Do your eyes water? Do you also experience headache along with it?
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    HEY!
    Actually my dentist has given me advice on photography
    Was it any good? If so please pass on a contact number - I need new teeth as well as glasses.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I spent this evening in the darkroom. I used Ilford Hypam instead of my TF-4 type fix and wore a gas and organic vapour respirator and I had the most productive and successful printing session yet. I suspect the prpblem is an irritation due to the ammonia smell like Jorge said. I do remember getting quite bad sore throats when I used to tone in KRST now i think of it, so it is probably the same effect.

Now - how do i get rid of this red circle around my face where the mask was too tight???

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon

Now - how do i get rid of this red circle around my face where the mask was too tight???
    LOL...if you got a clown face you are using it too tight. Here is a little test to see if you have formed a seal. after you put it on, tighten the straps lightly just so the mask does not fall off. Place your hands on the filters and inhale. If you dont feel any air going through the sides of the mask, then it is tight enough. If you keep using it for long this tight, you will develop headaches.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could try the Ilford Health and Safety Information I admit I've never read it, just stuck it in my portfolio for a Photography Foundation Course I was on but it impressed the auditor.

There's also this Health and Safety in the Arts
    Last edited by TPPhotog; 09-13-2004 at 06:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Found second link in favorites :)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Leon]
    I spent this evening in the darkroom.
    I used Ilford Hypam instead of my TF-4 type fix ... Leon

Plain fix is sodium thiosulfate. Use it. TF-4 I think is quite alkaline. That
    may cause more ammonia to enter the air than if it were neutral. You
    should be able to judge that.

I find nothing wrong with using S. Thiosulfate. I'm presently working
    my way through a liter of A. Thio. from Photographer's Formulary. I
    add nothing to it and use it very dilute one-shot.

You should consider entirely workable alternative chemistry and
    methods prior to bothering yourself with gas masks and
    unnecessary ventilation. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    TF-4 I think is quite alkaline. That
    may cause more ammonia to enter the air than if it were neutral.
    Thanks Dan - I was using TF-4 because it is alkaline and all the reported benefits that brings. Now understand that the ilford rapid fixers are reasonably neutral, so I think I'll be sticking with them and use an HCA.

Quote Originally Posted by dancqu
    You should consider entirely workable alternative chemistry and methods prior to bothering yourself with gas masks and
    unnecessary ventilation.
    A good tip in part , although I dont think ventilation in a darkroom could ever be considered unnecessary - my health is worth much more than my photos!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Alkaline fix is generally a good idea, but it doesn't have to be so alkaline that it's painful!

Alkaline plain fix is easy to make, and hardly smells at all. If "rapid" fix is required, it can be made acidic or about neutral.

My "OF-1" fix is a little alkaline, and can easily be made non-ammonium by replacing the ammonium chloride with the same amount of sodium thiosulfate. Or just skipping it altogether. Or replace the sulfite with bisulfite (and drop the alkali), and it's acidic. Or drop the alkali (metaborate or bicarbonate), which makes it slightly alkaline but poorly buffered.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Or use TF-2, a sodium thiosulfate alkaline fixer - I smell no odor at all from it.
    http://simmonsphotos.com/Formulas/TF-2.html

juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Ole]
    Alkaline fix is generally a good idea,... Ole

I wonder if that has ever been tested. I know Bill Troop whose TF-4
    is very alkaline, promotes an alkaline fix.

Alkaline plain fix is easy to make, and hardly smells at all. If "rapid" fix is required, it can be made acidic or about neutral. Ole

I use fix, sodium or ammonium, straight. I doubt there are any benefits
    from 'making' a fix; perhaps a little preservative for those who put it back
    in the bottle. The sodium runs neutral although a little alkaline would
    be more reasonable. I'd think the ammonium salt of thiosulfuric acid
    should be about neutral.

but poorly buffered. Ole

The ammonium salt will provide some buffering against alkaline additions where as the sodium will provide none. The thiosulfate ion will provide some buffering against acidic additions. Dan

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin