Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,212   Posts: 1,532,011   Online: 1177

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    ... I have European Kodak Photo-Flo (not 200) that is principally ethylene glycol that works well (a different ingredient than Photo-Flo 200). ...
    You are right, one uses propylene glycol and the other is using ethylene glycol as it's main ingredient. Edwal LFN is using ethoxylated alcohols. This is getting confusing.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glycol is just the solvent for the actual wetting agent (Triton X-100 in this case?). It probably doesn't make any significant difference whether it's propylene or ethylene glycol. It's just "stored" in glycol.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Gerald

Please explain.
    Triton X-100 is very thick and syrupy and requires a lot of stirring to get it into water solution. This makes it difficult to make a stock solution for further dilution to a working solution. It does mix readily with many glycols and alcohols.

The anti-foaming agent used in Photo-Flo is there mainly for use with machine processors. In the home darkroom it is not really necessary if one does not shake the working solution too much.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Triton X-100 is very thick and syrupy and requires a lot of stirring to get it into water solution. This makes it difficult to make a stock solution for further dilution to a working solution. It does mix readily with many glycols and alcohols. ...
    Gerald and hrst

In what sequence should the ingredients be mixed then?

glycol, Triton, water?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    This thread is confusing me. I've used photo-flo for years by simply dropping a few drops into the 120 tank + spool with running tap. Let sit for a minute or two, pull out and hang. No measurements or anything and yet to have an issue. Luck maybe?

I'm curious about the discussion of the homebrew though. Go on....
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    35mm
    Just my 2 cents...

I use 500 ml of distilled with 5 drops of photoflo 200. The question is what am I going to do with a gallon of photoflo 600?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1 liter of well water with 1/8 cap full (the old metal cap) of Photoflo 200 works well for me. No fancy measurements here.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I didn't know anybody actually measured the stuff either, but water quality is certainly a factor and some might require more precision.

Too much is certainly a problem though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Gerald and hrst

In what sequence should the ingredients be mixed then?

glycol, Triton, water?
    The Triton X-100 is first dissoved in the glycol which is then diluted with water. The recipe that I use is

Propylene glycol 250 ml
    Triton X-100 75 ml
    Water to make 1 l

This recipe was given in the Dignan Newsletter. The recipe also contained an anti-foaming agent which was hard to find. I therefore eliminated it since it is really not necessary for home use.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't measure in years. I just dip in a finger and swirl it into the final rinse.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin