Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,266   Posts: 1,534,331   Online: 787

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pushing Acros

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Pushing Acros

I'm looking to push Acros - not by choice, but because I'm traveling and, although I ordered extra film, I was sent tri-x in 35mm rather than 120, and now I'm screwed because it's too late to order any more film. This is for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Bhutan, which starts on Friday for me (I'm currently in Thailand). If Acros doesn't push well at 200 or 400, then I guess I'll stick to 35mm for low-light shots. However, if anyone has had success with pushing Acros I'd appreciate any info you can provide - speed, developer, look, any issues....

I usually use Rodinal or D-76, but I also have xtol, and could possibly get HC110, although I've never used it. Most other developers are not available to me in Japan, other than Fuji ones which I assume most people are not familiar with.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I would stick to 35mm where Acros @ 100 is no longer possible.
    Never pushed Acros but since its sensitivity is already at the lower end of the 100 gang I would avoid this.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    35mm
    Digital Truth has times for Acros @ 200 for Rodinal, D76 and Xtol.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    although I've never done it the diafine can says acros@200 speed; which I would tend to belieive
    sorry it is not available but maybe someone here could send it to you
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've pushed it to 200, 400, 800 and even 1600 with mixed results. Pushing to 200 is alright, 400 got poor highlights and shadows with decent grain and anything above that is fairly worthless. D76 did the best job for me. Let me look around and see if I have notes on it, but it can be done to 400 I believe. I feel like I did 1:1 in D76 for 18 minutes or something on that order.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Large Format
    I like the Acros film, but it does not seem like a good candidate for push processing unless you want an extremely high contrast effect without shadow detail. I would be happy if I could get a solid 100 speed out of it.

I am mostly developing it in Xtol, but switch to Acufine when I am trying to get a bit more speed. The Acufine only gives a hint of more shadow detail, but does help keep the highlights under control.

K-G
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Take a look at this thread. In posts no. 38 and 42 Thomas Bertilsson describes how he has exposed both Tmax 100 and Acros at 400 ISO and developed them with good results. He seems to know what he is doing.
    Regards

Karl-Gustaf

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/8...y-2-400-a.html

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The 1:3 seems to be a good candidate. When I developed mine 1:1 in D76 @ 400 it was too contrasty, but for the application is worked hence no more further experimentation. You could shoot some rolls @ 400 and once you return home, shoot a couple around the house and experiment with xtol or D76 to get it dialed.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Xtol 1+1 at 400 actually makes it look a lot like TXP. You may wish to slow down agitation to every two or three minutes to keep highlights in check. Develop longer to compensate, and thus get back some of the shadow detail you lost.
    I have nothing but good things to say of my resulting prints from doing this. Test first. Test first. Test first. If you can. Otherwise use Tri-X in 35mm and do the best you can.

I'm sorry about your predicament. It's a situation where you have to make a choice, I guess. Think about Cartier Bresson shooting Tri-X in 35mm, and the larger prints made from those negs are gorgeous. Also consider Salgado. Same thing. Ralph Gibson. Etc.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks everyone.

Thomas, just curious, what's a starting point for development time with Acros @400 in Xtol 1+1?

I guess I'll probably shoot most things with tri-x, but for important shots I may double up by shooting the Acros at 400 and see what I get once I get back home.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin