Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,016   Online: 667

Thread: Agfa Neutol

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Agfa Neutol

I recently found a stash of Agfa Neutol at my community darkroom and I was thinking of using it. I normally use Dektol and Selectol soft.

The containers aer all new and sealed.

I plan on using it with Ilford Warm tone fiber paper.

Any thoughts or advice?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I use it alot & on various papers from Azo to Oriental Seagull at 1:7 ratio. Recently having been using it in combo with a harder developer ( Edwal Ultra Black) & like the results. Gives increased contrast control even with graded papers.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i use the neatol WA on ilford FB WT and AZO and quite like teh results too.. 1+11 gives warmer tone on AZO then 1+7..

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Never had a bad experience with it. I was using Dektol and Selectol Soft before, but there was a noticeable difference for the better with Neutol. Keeps a lot longer than Selectol Soft, not quite as long as Dektol.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have also used Neutol for a large number of years now @ 1:7 with a varity of RC and FB papers. It keeps very well and seems to improve with age in a Nova tank with just being topped up. Results are always consistant and excellent. I hope they never phase it out!

Neil.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have always used this or bromorphen. I really like Neutol 1:11 on ilford FB WT - gives lovely rich blacks which appear quite rapidly in the tray, then the highlights build really slowly so there is a good opportunity to "grab" the print if you want to prematurely end the development for any reason.

I'm not overly keen on using it with MGFB neutral paper though - it has an unpleasant greenish tinge, although this is easily removed with a dip in selenium 1:15 ish.

I think Barry Thornton used to keep a bottle of "old Brown" neutol and would mix this with fresh developer to give a richer warm tone and less contrasty working solution - I have some to try this but havnt got round to it yet so cant comment on it's effect.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I liked Neutol WA, but recently replaced it with Ethol LPD 1+7

Using Neutol is kinda straightforward, the results you'll get maybe a bit different than the previous you got though.

As it has benn said the old-brown technique works really good with this one, i.e. when is exhausted dump 2/3 of the working solution and replenish with new Neutol.
    Last edited by titrisol; 09-15-2004 at 01:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Mama took my APX away.....

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin