Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,164   Online: 783

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ilford Galerie tones to a warm brown in selenium.
    testing...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't have my Tim Rudman book handy, but there is a process called, iirc, Chinese toning where selenium toning is done first and then the silver is bleached out leaving a red-brown image. I've seen one at a Tim Rudman course and it's striking.

I'll look it up later.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    About Chinese toning: First, strong selenium toning (e.g. 1+2 for 15 minutes) then bleach print in iodine+methylated spirit, which removes silver but not selenium. It will be stained orange and is then cleared in fixer. It's more orange that the OP's copper example, but the process can be done partially without bleaching all the silver. Refer to Tim Rudman's toning book for details.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may be able to influence results by changing developer. Try Geaveart 262.

From Tom Hoskin's post of 11-14-2006:

Gevaert G-262 Warm Tone Developer
    Water (125 F)-----------------------750 ml
    Sodium Sulfite (anhy)---------------70.0 grams
    Hydroquninone----------------------25.0 grams
    Sodium Carbonate (mono)-----------90.0 grams
    Potassium Bromide-------------------2.0 grams
    Water to make----------------------1.0 liter

Try it diluted 10x - you really need to expose the #$*&^%#$ out of the paper and develop for 10 minutes or so. Results are decidedly redish even with no toning, but low contrast was a problem when I tried it.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Developers like this used highly dilute worked better with the older warmtone papers with cadmium in their emulsions, the last paper taht would responds reasonably well to give red tones purely with development was Record Rapid pre-1990 (approx).

Forte Polywarmtone processed in Ilford Warmtone, Agfa WA or ID-78 will give a strong reddish brown with selenium toning to completion.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again everyone! Lots of ideas to try. Might have to order a few boxes of Polywarmtone to try out if they get their 30000 minimum...

I'm now wondering if my current selenium is a bit weak. The bottle had some black deposits in the bottom which stayed then when poured out. I poured the diluting water to 1+3 working strength into the bottle first to see if I could wash them out but alas, they stayed. I will use this batch until it is done but I'll see if the next one is stronger and warmer. I'm really just getting brown-purple out of this batch, not red. Still love the copper though and wish I'd done it to my postcards... ah well, perhaps next round.
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin