Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,571   Online: 684

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DD-X or HC-110

OMU

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me, HC in Jobo is excellent.
    These are my times in JOBO:

FILM ISO E.I. Dil. Time

FP4+ 125
    N - 1, 80, H, 3 min 30 sek
    N, 80, H, 5 min 45 sek
    N + 1, 80, H, 7 min 12 sek
    N + 2, 100, H, 9 min

HP5+ 400
    N - 2 200 H 6 min 50 sek
    N - 1 250 B 5 min 45 sek
    N 320 B 7 min 45 sek
    N + 1 320 B 9 min 30 sek
    N + 2 400 B 12 min 40 sek

Delta 100
    N 80 B 4 min 45 sek

Delta 400
    N 320 B 6 min 20 sek
    N + 1 320 B 7 min 36 sek
    N + 2 320 B 9 min

This is a paste from Excell and there is something wrong with the format, but the read it like this:
    Exemple.
    Delta 400, N (Normal) development. The film has an EI at 320. Dilution B for 6 min 20 sek.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If it's economy you want, consider Rodinal...the stuff lasts forever after you open the bottle. Differing dilutions for one-shot use is handy and it gives fine results with just about everything.

Although, I tried DD-X on a few rolls (HP5 pushed, Pan 400) and was really impressed. Easy to mix up, great for speed and wonderful grain...based on your choice, I'd vouch for this one.
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't intend on doing much BW work then HC-110 is a good choice. The concentrate keeps for years even in opened bottles. Do not follow Kodak's recommendation for making an intermediate solution but dilute the concentrate directly.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Agreed that DD-X will give more XTOL-like results with the Delta films than HC-110. Having HC-110 on hand in concentrate (syrup) form is easy, and for the times you run out of DD-X it will serve you well, plus not go bad for a long time (if mixed from the syrup). You'll just need a 50ml syringe to use the syrup.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    If you don't intend on doing much BW work then HC-110 is a good choice. The concentrate keeps for years even in opened bottles. Do not follow Kodak's recommendation for making an intermediate solution but dilute mthe concentrate directly.
    I just used for the first time HC110 as developer, so I don't have much experience with it, but why do you recommend using the syrup directly from the bottle as opposed to the stock solution recommended by Kodak?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabino View Post
    I just used for the first time HC110 as developer, so I don't have much experience with it, but why do you recommend using the syrup directly from the bottle as opposed to the stock solution recommended by Kodak?
    The concentrate lasts a very, very, very long time, even when in a half filled bottle.

The intermediate stock solution lasts a much shorter time.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    Note that DDX is a little sharper with Delta 100 than HC110. Also you will get better film speed with DDX. Depending on contrast, you can get a pretty usable box speed out of Delta 100 with DDX.

One additional note on DDX with Delta. I suggest you do a few tests of your own for development time.
    I'll test some regardless of my choice.

The extra speed is one of the reasons I'm leaning toward DD-X. Extra shapness is good to.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sepiareverb View Post
    Agreed that DD-X will give more XTOL-like results with the Delta films than HC-110. Having HC-110 on hand in concentrate (syrup) form is easy, and for the times you run out of DD-X it will serve you well, plus not go bad for a long time (if mixed from the syrup). You'll just need a 50ml syringe to use the syrup.
    I'll probably just buy more real early since it keeps for 24 months in full undiluted bottles.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Corneau View Post
    If it's economy you want, consider Rodinal...the stuff lasts forever after you open the bottle. Differing dilutions for one-shot use is handy and it gives fine results with just about everything.

Although, I tried DD-X on a few rolls (HP5 pushed, Pan 400) and was really impressed. Easy to mix up, great for speed and wonderful grain...based on your choice, I'd vouch for this one.
    Not necessarily after economy. Quality is a bigger consideration.

My impression of Rodinal is that it is great for the slower films but not necesarily the first choice for say pushing Delta 400 to 3200.

One thing I know I want is "just one developer" on my shelf.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks all!

After thinking about the responses and my motivations the only "ace" that HC-110 really brings to my darkroom over DD-X is it's shelf life.

DD-X seems to hold the stronger hand everywhere else.

The only real complaint I've ever heard about DD-X is on price, and that is reflected in this thread.

Given it's well within my budget I am giving DD-X the job.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin