Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,554   Posts: 1,573,148   Online: 835

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DD-X or HC-110

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've never had DD-X fail, even with open bottles a year old. I did have one crystallization event, but that I'm sure I can blame on a very cold winter chilling down the basement. Very happy with the results, always look wonderful.

I also keep HC-110 around, for work which would be breathtakingly expensive with DD-X, like running the Nikor sheet film tank, or developing a roll of Verichrome Pan 122 in 28 ounces of developer in a Nikor reel and tank. Also, the fog-inhibiting properties of HC-110 are good for processing 20, 30, 40, or even 50 year old Verichrome Pan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    HC-110 is a rather unique developer in that the concentrate contains no water. Without water oxidation is very slow. I think Kodak gives a shelf life for the intermediate solution of 6 months.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John Shriver View Post
    I've never had DD-X fail, even with open bottles a year old. I did have one crystallization event, but that I'm sure I can blame on a very cold winter chilling down the basement. Very happy with the results, always look wonderful.
    That's good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by John Shriver View Post
    I also keep HC-110 around, for work which would be breathtakingly expensive with DD-X, like running the Nikor sheet film tank, or developing a roll of Verichrome Pan 122 in 28 ounces of developer in a Nikor reel and tank. Also, the fog-inhibiting properties of HC-110 are good for processing 20, 30, 40, or even 50 year old Verichrome Pan.
    I can see not wanting to spend $3.60 on one sheet of 4x5. But, for me, if I get out the 4x5 camera I'm normally going to shoot much more than one and/or shoot something really important. In the latter situation I would happily spend $3.60 for one sheet.

The low fog characteristics were an interesting side note in my research.

For the purposes of this discussion though; well kept, fairly young film, is my target.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    How would you describe that difference anikin?
    By now you have plenty of good descriptions in this thread. I use both developers, but for different applications. If I need smooth tones with very little grain (portraits for example), then it's DD-X. HC is a great cheap middle of the road developer - more grain with great sharpness, good speed and contrast. It's a perfect reliable general purpose developer. And since HC110 lasts for years, there is no reason not to have it. So there you go. Try them both, they are both good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks Anikin.

I've made the decision to go with DD-X.

I really don't want to have two different developers.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin