Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,944   Online: 776

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Only with Xtol

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The film is versatile and Thomas is right.

I use Xtol 1+1 for contrast, and PMK when I want to tame the contrast.

If the lack of contrast and flat diagnosis is from scanning, that means you are not completing the computer process which involves shaping the curve in image editing software. Raw scans look a little flat, but it's easy to fix. The same negatives print wonderful though in the darkroom. Then it's clearly a computer process issue rather than a film or chemical issue.

I have no idea what caused bands/layers for the OP without looking at the negs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I had similar problems (i.e., negative contrast) early on in my calibration with Xtol undiluted and TMY. No more problems (EI 320, Xtol straight, 6:15 continuouse agitation in a JOBO at 20C). Now that I'm starting out with TMX, I'm getting relatively thin and flat negatives. It took me about 6-7 months with the TMY/Xtol combination (and about 80 rolls of 120) before figuring it out. I expect the same learnig curve with TMX...isn't this fun

Shooter
    35mm
    Well the cat looks flat, Thomas, in the sense of a certain worldly "ennui" that only cats can manage in portraits and they never charge extra for it.

It's a great look. No training required

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you add foto flo to the tank for the last step before drying,and don't scrub the tank and reel after,that would cause foaming with the developer on next use.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I'm sorry, but I cannot just stand by and look when somebody gives TMax film a categorically 'flat' verdict.
    All of the attached pics are TMax 100 and 400 film.
    They are not flat, because I took time to understand TMax film, how to properly expose and process them. All in replenished Xtol. You control contrast via exposure and development, and if you can't get enough contrast from the film, or as much contrast as you WANT, don't blame the film.

Back on track. Sorry to deviate from the original topic.
    Thomas,

That's a great shot of the boy. Grainless, crispy black and white in the shirt, perfect skin tone. Just great.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Thomas,

That's a great shot of the boy. Grainless, crispy black and white in the shirt, perfect skin tone. Just great.
    Thanks! That one's Pentax 35mm TMX in replenished Xtol. The other two are Hasselblad. Kitten is TMX and wedding is TMY.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I'm sorry, but I cannot just stand by and look when somebody gives TMax film a categorically 'flat' verdict.
    All of the attached pics are TMax 100 and 400 film.
    They are not flat, because I took time to understand TMax film, how to properly expose and process them. All in replenished Xtol. You control contrast via exposure and development, and if you can't get enough contrast from the film, or as much contrast as you WANT, don't blame the film.

Back on track. Sorry to deviate from the original topic.
    Sorry forgot to add (and I was actually thinking about it believe it or not) that my results were per chart recommendations. I do know, as probably everyone else has read over the years, that Tmax films respond to shorter changes in developing regime and that all films are variable in developing. But really, thanks for jumping on my ass about it. I don't want to give out bad info to the newbies.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use xtol in my phototherm 1:1 and straight and love it. I dilute it in a 3 lite soda bottle and mix as needed. Awesome results from 400 iso film esp

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you dilute XTOL, then the solution is a one shot developer PERIOD. Read the data sheet.

If you use XTOL full strength, then increase the development time per the instruction sheet.

I recommend that you start with a fresh batch of XTOL and replenish with 170ml per roll after time that you develop with it. The tonality is much better. See previous threads on this subject of APUG. Also see the data sheet.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Steve:

Did you really mean to say 170 ml? Kodak recommends 70 ml (IIRC).

EDIT: Kodak's recommendation is 70 ml. See page 4 of J109:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/profe.../j109/j109.pdf
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin