Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,899   Posts: 1,521,074   Online: 921

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Efke IR 820 Developer

I discovered a stash of this film in 4x5 I did not know I had, and made some test shots at iso 100 w/o filter and iso 6 with a 720nm filter.
    Got really thin negatives with xtol stock replenished 30 sec agitation for 11 minutes at 73F.
    My normal time for Rollei 400 IR with the filter is
    8 minutes at that temp.
    I am thinking xtol does not like Efke. How about Rodinal??
    Any experience with Efke??

Shooter
    Medium Format

EFKE ir comment

forgot to mention 30 sec inital agitation, the 4 serious tilts in HP combiplan tank every 30 sec.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    There's nothing wrong with xtol-efke combo.
    More probably its the EI 6 you shot the film. It's slower than rollei ir. Most people shoot it at EI of 1.5 or less.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Agree with Domin. It's a really slow film with an Ir filter on the lens. Best results I had were with Rodinal 1+100 , one minute agitation and then stand for 50mns.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I develop it in Rodinal, shoot it @ 3 ASA to ~ - 3. Have some shots in my gallery here.
    You jump in a the wild guess land with that film - it has high reciprocity @ >1 sec exposures.
    For me it works ONLY with stopped down lens >4 f stops @ >1 sec exposures.
    It depends on the area You are in and how IR You have around.
    I have tried it @ wide apertures but it wont cut it (for me) at least not in 135 format.
    Though, some folks here said it worked for them @ wide apertures...

Good luck,
    G

Shooter
    Medium Format
    wow, minus 3 iso! Won't be re ordering much of this stuff. I have some Rollei 4x5 on the way, but not here due to a backorder.

I will try again with 1.5 and minus 3 and use similar temp.
    I shot a couple without the filter, and they were pretty thin even at 25 iso.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, the 1st time I tried it in the 3 to 6 ASA and ended up with the same kind of results as Yours.
    The filter I used was Heliopan RG715.
    I had a few bracketed shots without the filter as well... so I know what it looks like.
    Rollei IR400 is different. Both films are good. Rollei Retro 80S is interesting as well.
    I develop them mostly in Rodinal (1:100) or Neofin Blue

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal tends to lose speed, though, so it might not be the best developer for an already very slow film. I've actually gotten some decent results at EI 6, mainly in the afternoon when the ratio of IR to visible is high; in midday light it's slower than that for sure, and it also depends on your latitude. It sounds like you might have underexposed for the amount of IR light you had.

I've developed it in PC-TEA, which is generally similar to Xtol 1+2---I don't know if it's the *best*-looking developer for this film, but it worked fine. Diafine is interesting because the compensation reduces the Wood effect---the trees are still white, but they don't "bloom" into big fluffs of undifferentiated white.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I use EI1 (in Sunny-16 light, 90% of the time f/16, 1s) with an R72 (cheap chinese clone), soup in xtol 1+1 20C for 15:00, agitate first minute then 10s per minute. Beware reciprocity failure.

Note that the film has a really really long toe, so you need to overexpose a bit if you want to get any contrast out of it and the shadows can be pretty flat if you're not careful. At EI1, you get lovely sparkly highlights (detail retained, it's not blown out) and still have detail in fairly deeply shadowed regions of the scene - the long toe is very beneficial here. The "box speed" is optimistic because of the toe: if you shoot it at 100, you'll get thin, flat negs. Give it at least +1.5 stops and get your zones VI-VII at least up on the steep part of the curve.

If the absolute entirety of your scene was in full sun, then EI3 would be OK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    An example using the above exposure/development (click for high res):

Rodinal will work OK at 1+50 but it gives a really, really grainy result. I don't think that fits well with the IR landscape or soft-portrait aesthetic, especially with IR820 Aura, but there are certainly subjects it could work well for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin