Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,548   Online: 1126

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post

Can't help you with long toes and straight portions and stuff, I ain't that clever, but try giving it a nice looooong soak in some hot, undiluted stock developer just to prove you can get all the contrast you want (and a lot you probably don't ;-)
    point proven.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by steven_e007 View Post
    The thing about Tri-x is that Kodak recommend increasing the standard developement time by about 30 to 40% for a two stop push. Check Ilfords recommendations for HP5+ and they recommend doubling the basic time and then some...

One reason why Tri-X fans accuse HP5+ of being 'low contrast', I reckon, and the reason why I managed to get Tri-X negatives too dense to print....

Can't help you with long toes and straight portions and stuff, I ain't that clever, but try giving it a nice looooong soak in some hot, undiluted stock developer just to prove you can get all the contrast you want (and a lot you probably don't ;-)
    I frequently push HP5 to EI 640 in overcast conditions, developing in ID-11 1:1 for 16 minutes. Very nice results. I wouldn't push HP5 any more than this. I have not had better luck pushing Tri-x. I wouldn't try pushing HP5 further than this unless you go with Xtol, Tmax, or DD-x developer. Many films can be made to look similar to TXP simply by under-exposing and over-developing.

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do I miss Tri-X 320? I do miss a couple of old girl friends, but the current wife is fine as is TMax 400.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cjbecker View Post
    looks like i will be trying hp5 at 800 and 1600.
    All I can say is: Try it and see if it works for you. I have only tried replicating the characteristics of TXP with TMax 400 and 100 (and a roll or two of Acros), and I know it works with them. I'm not sure that you'd get the same highlights with HP5+, as I believe it would shoulder off more. But just try it. You have nothing to lose. You may end up shooting it at 800 instead of 1600. Or 500. Only your eyes can tell you what you will like in your prints, and that's by far the most important thing. Have fun!
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The shouldering off is what Im scared of. Let the tests begin.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    when you look at the grass covered by snow aside of the river/canal, you can see that the one on the left shows more "apparent" or real detail, hard to say from a scanned image. I wonder why this detail is not as pronounced as on the image on the right. I am inclined to think that the one on the left is TXP, but I am not sure and this is not a competition. But I'd like to know, regardless. Thanks for posting this test.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sort of miss it but I'm finding solace in the T-Max 400 speed films.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't miss it because I still have a ton in the freezer.
    :-)

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Guillaume Zuili View Post
    I don't miss it because I still have a ton in the freezer.
    :-)
    Bitch! I don't miss it because I'm just glad there is still film, any film, to shoot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Bitch! I don't miss it because I'm just glad there is still film, any film, to shoot
    There are still many wonderful films out there, and I have always argued that we can alter the results more by working with technique than changing materials. You make a good point.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin