Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,656   Online: 617

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Grain as much as possible ...

Hi all again!!!

How can I get as much as grain as possible? Some special combination film/developer/time/temp/agitation?

Thank you very much,

jxprat

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Try Delta 3200, expose at box speed, develop in Rodinal and over-agitate. See how you like it!
    Others may have gotten good grain with pushing Tri-X too.

Shooter
    Large Format
    anything in Rodinal 1+25 at high-ish temperature.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hello

one good way is to use paper developer like dektol 1+3 or d-72 1+1 or multigrade 1+3, temperature 22ºc and around 5 minutes for tmz @1600, you won´t get reasonable shadow detail so increasing contrast on the printing stage can help to make the grain look more visible and sharper, contrast will be a bit on the high side, but you have to deal with these things.

another way is to use the only developer formulated especifically to do this: FX-16 by Geoffrey Crawley

it takes glicyn, so i did not use it often, it goes bad relativelly fast, but the results are better, less mushyness and more aparent sculptoric quality, it is a FX-2 derivation.

another good way is to enlarge..., use a fast film with good old rodinal and instead os using a normal lens use a wide angle and enlarge in the enlarger the smaller portion in the neg., it´s the easyest way... but you also lose some resolution

good work

cumprimentos de portugal
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Add good for standard BW printing. If you really want grain, learn to lith print and use Slavich or the insanely grainly Fomabrom VC (Arista.edu). I just posted a Slavich example. There are a bunch in the galleries and flickr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    one of the best ways to get grain
    is to use a wider lens than you would normally use
    in any situation, and enlarge ( i use a half frame and 110 camera for this).
    you could also shoot at a higher iso and process accordingly.
    there are people that suggest processing your film in dektol or other print developers
    will give "huge golfball type grain" this has never been my experience
    ( i have been processing my film in a print developer for 11 years )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Before, it was easy...

Fuji Neopan 1600 @ 1600 in Rodinal 1+25 or 1+50.

Now that Neopan 1600 is gone, Tri-X @ 1600 in Rodinal 1+25.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think also increasing the wet time of your film can also increase the grain.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like John I've processed film in Ansco 130, and it doesn't give grain any bigger than with say Rodinal or HC-110.

The suggestion of cropping is great, but limits how big you can make the pictures in your enlarger.

The suggestion of using Delta 3200 or TMax 3200 is good too, especially if you process in something like Rodinal 1+25, shoot at 3200 and agitate a lot when you process. It yields a beautiful negative that prints with glorious grain.

Or like Mark Fisher suggests, to lith print yields some interesting results too. Two lith prints from a grain free and ultra smooth medium format pinhole negative attached to show the effect. This gives you the option to both have super grainy prints and smooth ones too, if you wish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails the_other_landscape_004.jpg   rush_variant-112.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Like John I've processed film in Ansco 130, and it doesn't give grain any bigger than with say Rodinal or HC-110.

The suggestion of cropping is great, but limits how big you can make the pictures in your enlarger.

The suggestion of using Delta 3200 or TMax 3200 is good too, especially if you process in something like Rodinal 1+25, shoot at 3200 and agitate a lot when you process. It yields a beautiful negative that prints with glorious grain.

Or like Mark Fisher suggests, to lith print yields some interesting results too. Two lith prints from a grain free and ultra smooth medium format pinhole negative attached to show the effect. This gives you the option to both have super grainy prints and smooth ones too, if you wish.
    Thomas,

that looks good for me, specialy the second image. That's what I'm looking for!!! But, how did you get it? Ok, lith printing (I know what is it) but which developer? Which film? Which paper (lith) developer? ...

Thanks to everybody for your help,

jxprat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin