Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,372   Online: 1081

Thread: D76 lifespan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

D76 lifespan

What's the longest time to push a fresh batch of D76, 1+1? Can it keep overnight if covered or stored in a brown bottle? I hate to throw out what I think might be good developer, after using it one time. Sometimes I have to mix a fresh batch the night before for one or two rolls of film, but plan on developing more the next morning. Any experience with this would be appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I haven't done this myself but according to Kodak, once diluted to 1:1, shelf life is 24 hours and 1:1 dilution is one time use only.

It takes 8oz of non-diluted solution to process one roll at documented time. 4oz requires extended dev time because activity slows as active ingredients get used up. No specs for using it more than once.

I'd consider it "spent" and not risk a roll of film....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've kept one liter of D-76 1+1 for three months, testing once every month, still good. This an ongoing experiment using one sheet of 4x5 film per test. So far no discernable difference. I use the same type film, same camera and lens, same settings. This is enough developer for four rolls of 35mm film, even still it doesn't show any signs of degradation. Developer is still clear, no signs of oxidation. I store it in a clear tightly stoppered bottle that i squeeze all the air out of, under the counter.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RPippin View Post
    What's the longest time to push a fresh batch of D76, 1+1? Can it keep overnight if covered or stored in a brown bottle? I hate to throw out what I think might be good developer, after using it one time. Sometimes I have to mix a fresh batch the night before for one or two rolls of film, but plan on developing more the next morning. Any experience with this would be appreciated.
    Would you rather lose a potentially wonderful negative, or save a few pennies on developer? Throw it out!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Always mix it to stock solution for future use. Dilute only when ready to use...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I mix a stock solution about once every couple of months, and dilute 1+1 when ready to use. I've developed as many as 4 rolls of 120 in one Ltr. of working solution with no loss of image quality. I usually throw it out after that and mix a fresh batch, but only develop a couple of rolls. If I have more to develop the next day it would be nice to finish it off then instead of throwing it out and mixing a fresh working solution just for a couple of rolls.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A variant of this question, I have some stock solution (about 800ml give or take) in an accordian tank with as little air as possible, probably over a year old, still good or should I toss?
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, Bill...you really should use as fresh a solution as possible, but if the color is clear and not tinted to brown, you may want to try it on a non-critical roll and possibly give slightly more dev time.

Year-old developer can still work, but you won't get the same results as fresh...usually lower contrast and thinner negs result.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Film is expensive, developer is cheap. Need one say more?
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

mts
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are asking how long can you keep one-shot developer? One-shot means use it once, and D-76 1:1 is a one-shot developer. The same for TMax 1:4 or 1:9 and any other diluted developer including Dektol 1:2 or 1:1. Obviously the same goes for Rodinal diluted for use.

How long can you keep D76 stock solution? Quite awhile in my experience although its working characteristic does change if oxidation is present in partly filled containers.
    By denying the facts, any paradox can be sustained--Galileo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin