Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,728   Posts: 1,515,213   Online: 950

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jorge,

I'll put up the first 250,000...can I count on your generosity for the rest? Let's buy this and move it to Mexico.

Images
    Keep an eye on Ebay. Maybe Ilford imaging UK Ltd.will turn up there.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    Jorge,

I'll put up the first 250,000...can I count on your generosity for the rest? Let's buy this and move it to Mexico.
    LOL.....I would love to do this, sadly my generosity cannot make up the difference....probably in the millions of pounds...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller
    What is the sales price of the company as advertised by Ilford? What in the way of plant and equipment would be up for sale? What is the position of the English government insofar as foreign ownership of an English company, does anyone know the answer to these questions?

It seems that this may be an opportunity to guarantee an availability of materials for our photographic community. Ilford has had decent materials over the years so it would appear that this would not require "reinventing the wheel" insofar as technology.

The British government don't care who owns any company, at the minute they are more concerned with giving control of the country to Brussels. Within the Ilford plant at Mobberley there are both film and paper coating machines including one digital paper machine as well as the chemistry making facilities.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Les McLean
    Within the Ilford plant at Mobberley there are both film and paper coating machines including one digital paper machine as well as the chemistry making facilities.
    Thanks for the update Les.
    Sounds like the place I'm currently working . One guy doing the job of 3 who are no longer there. I know it's a PITA and the timing couldn't be worse, but lets give the Ilford folks a chance, and see what happens...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to point it out but Christmas will soon be with us.

For the UK that means the traditional time to ditch part or the whole of the workforce! If I'm calculating correctly that just gives the suits at Ilford enough time to issue the 90 day notice

I remember when I was in IT the auditors got rid of all but 23% of us and yep it was the time of goodwill, I hate Christmas!!

DKT

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee
    I don't want to get involved in scare mongering, but....

I work in a large college here in the UK, and have just placed our start of term order with Firstcall (large uk mail order firm). Included with that order was about £2000 (yes thousand!) worth of Ilford chemicals (multigrade dev, Hypam etc.) I ordered Ilford (as I always do) to show some support, and do my little bit to keep the company on it's feet.

I have just got of the phone from Firstcall, and they can't supply any Ilford materials because Ilford are putting everything on back order, with no firm date as to when they will supply!

Now I can't wait for Ilford, we have over 200 photography students wanting to get in the darkrooms, and I have no chemicals!! So I have had to take Paterson chemicals as a replacement! And I am sure we are not the only college in the same position!

This is all very good for Paterson, but I can't see how Ilford
    are going to continue if they are loosing orders like this!

Same here--at work we put in an order about two weeks before Ilford made the first announcements, and we still haven't gotten it. The vendors have been real squirrelly about it. It was for about 3 cases of Warmtone RC, and a case of Ortho Plus 4x5. Yesterday we put in an order for $1200 worth of chemistry from them as well. That would cover a year's worth for our processor--we figured we'd better stockpile it.

OTOH--I also ordered 3 cases of kodak paper and got it delivered within a week. As well as almost $1000 worth of E6. We ordered 2 cases of polaroid 55 p/n and got those the fastest--within days of the order going through. Ilford has always been slow for us, so this is nothing new.

I figure I can skip the Ilford paper if it becomes a problem, but I need the film. Last year, I ordered the same amount and it took THREE months to get--so I'm not optimistic about the current order. It could be that we just go back to all Kodak, because they ship on time and the materials are cheaper for us than the Ilford contract. The warmtone paper was outrageously expensive--almost 40 dollars more per box than Kodak. I just don't get it really.

We've still been able to get our Ilford processor serviced because they outsourced all the tech support staff to another company a few years ago. That's the one saving grace in this whole thing--the fact that all those ex-Ilford techs are working for someone else and the parts are made outside of Ilford as well.

KT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lee
    I don't want to get involved in scare mongering, but....
    Of course you did not scare me. I just bought tons of Ilford film a few days ago. If you need pan-f I can ship back to UK from US here. It probably faster than Ilford can supply you.

Now I can just wait for B&H's call. Guess they will be out of Ilford film soon.

Haha, what a wise, prompt action! (sorry I have to praise myself).

Seen my old thread here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/8754-time-stock-up-ilford-film-pan-f.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wonder how all this is going to effect Ilfords long term sales if they do survive? I was going to try Efke after the news, but then I found I had 2 rolls of old KB14 in a batch I was given. Earlier this week I shot a roll and today I developed it after getting advice from Ian Grant .... mmmm it's a close call between Pan F or Efke at 25 ISO now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is an even worse side to this!

At our college (16-18 yrs) we teach analogue photography as the main basis of our course. We have been aware for some time that we will have to move more to digital, after all we have to teach the kids relevant skills!

I have passionatley thought with my head of department to keep the darkrooms, as the students love it (and it gives me two large darkrooms for my own work ). But unfortunetly this is only go to hasten the move to digital, which is cheaper and less reliant on materials.

I never thought I would say this but .... I am glad I have digital skills! or I would be out of a job within a couple of years.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin